Two questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irishmike7979

Aquarium Advice Regular
I didn't really know where to post this but I'm worried about my corals at night. They thrive during the day but at night the shrivel up and wilter as if they were dying. The t5's are on from 9am to 6pm. The water levels are all good. So am I just being paranoid??

image-2987425342.jpg

image-4161264375.jpg

image-2320006251.jpg

image-2028497173.jpg

image-437772110.jpg

image-150260701.jpg

Second on the finger leather it looks like this is an anemone growing, can anyone please confirm this..

image-819197527.jpg

Corals go to into a sleep stage of sorts. If they are coming to life after the tank lights come on they are fine. At night is the time to take a flashlight out and watch your tank to see a whole new world in there.

lol thats what i do every night :p although some of the nocternal creatures duck into the shadows unless i put a red lense over the flashlight

The last pic looks like an aptasia ( how ever u spell it.) can't tell to well. If I'm right u dont want them. There r lots of ways to get rid of them. I have 2 tanks and both I have used peppermint shrimp in. Got 5 for my 55. And 8 for my 210. And about a week later all clean. But others have not had the same luck.

Yep, the corals will close up after lights out for the most part, I have some that stay open a bit even after lights are out. And yep, looks like an aiptasia anemone from what I can tell. I tried peppermints in my one tank and had no luck. :-( I did have luck with injecting them with a kalkewasser paste though. Gotta inject right into the mouth or you won't kill it.

I actually had good luck with peppermints. It's just plain luck with what you get. But also used joes juice and put it around the rim of their opening. Allow them to "eat it" (suck it in) and turn your powerheads and pumps off while doing so. Then- siphon those dern things out an hour after you do it. If the first try doesn't work, come back again.

Thank you all, I was able to kill it by injecting it with lemon juice. I know it's not smart to add foreign additives to the tank but a day after I injected it, it died and no change in the water perimeters. I did a 25% water change to be on the safe side anyways!

Back
Top Bottom