Two week cycle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spankenstyne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This seems very odd to me, i've been quite prepared for a month to 6 weeks minimum for my tank to cycle but it seems like it's either done or very very close to after just over two weeks. I hadn't tested for a couple of days since i expected the nitrite spike to last a while, but when testing today i get 0-.1 ammonia and the same reading on the nitrites. The ammonia has been basically non existant since after a few days in, but the nitrites were climbing daily and were getting near 3 ppm when i last tested friday.
My nitrate levels have even dropped slightly without any water change yet and are sitting between 5 and 10 ppm while they were just a bit over 10 on friday.

That seems to be the weirdest part but maybe some has been absorbed by the plants? I also eased up on the food for the comets that are in there, and we have some brownish-olive algae growing on the plants which seem quite happy sprouting root shoots all over into the sand.

Has my tank cycled already or is this some part of the cycle one can expect and it'll kick back up again for a couple more weeks of nitrites?

Oh and the ph has remained solid at around 7.6 every time i've tested, and the water tests at the top end of moderately hard.

I doubt the cycle is complete, as the plants are competing for the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. And with a planted tank, you probably wouldn't see much of a cycle either. Just keep a close eye on your tests so the levels don't get too high for the comets. Other than that, things seem to be progressing smoothly. Good job...

You are using a liquid reagent test kit, like the one Aquarium Pharmacueticals sells? The nitrate test has some rather large increments, it is probably the least quantitative of the tests with the supplied color strips. I would doubt you are done with the cycle. You still have some ammonia, and nitrites. Unless you seeded the tank with fully colonized bio-media, I bet you still have a week or two left. Don't worry about the pH or hardness, you will have a stable pH, and stability is the most important thing regarding pH.

Yes, live plants can alter the cycle, but it is best to go very slow, and monitor closely since you have fish in there. The brown algae has always appeared a week or two before my cycle was over, hope it is a good sentinel for you too.

Thanks!

Yes it's a liquid reagent test kit.
The ammonia and nitrites are showing at zero, just if i look at an angle at the meniscus in the tube i can see the slightest hint of colour which leads me to believe i have some trace amounts. I dunno if i'm just trying too hard to see some colour :lol:

I'll definitely err on the side of caution and will assume it's still cycling then, or might we be safe to add something like a smaller bristlenose pleco since any hurtful levels of the bad stuff aren't there?

I just found it odd to get stuff spiking then dropping right off as if it had cycled so soon. While i didn't seed the filter in any way i kind of wondered if the plants had helped jumpstart something, that maybe the plants coming from already established tanks in the lfs had carried some of the colonies of bio goodies on them?

Good to hear the news that the algae is most likely a good sign, i had hoped so and i guess we'll see.

As for PH and hardness, i really just mentioned them to cut off at the pass any questions on whether the PH had changed drastically as maybe a sign of something bad happening in there. Basically to make the info more thourough, so you folks with more knowledge than i can better assess what's up.

Thanks to you all for the ongoing education so far, i'm greatly enjoying all this & the process of doing this right.

Well, plants can absorb ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite (I beleive thats the order of plant preference), and plants from an established tank would also be surface area for nitrifying bacteria to colonize your tank.

So, if nitrates are greater than in your tap water, and ammonia and nitrite are zero, you can add fish slowly. If nitrates are the same or lower than your tap water, you have to convince yourself that the bio-filter is established and the plants are reducing nitrates. I think if I was in that position, I would wait another week, if everything is still ok I would add stock slowly (inch or two of fish per week?) and keep an eye on things. I would save larger fish, or fish that have to be bought in larger schools for later, if possible, so that you can increase the fish load slowly this early on.

Ah hah, i never even thought of checking the tapwater to see what the nitrate levels were, this is why i'm really growing to love this place.

Just checked as per the advice and the tapwater is indeed lower than the tank. We're adding a small 1-1/2" Bristlenose pleco and will keep checking the levels daily to monitor.

Thanks for the tips!

"The ammonia has been basically non existant since after a few days in, but the nitrites were climbing daily and were getting near 3 ppm when i last tested friday.
My nitrate levels have even dropped slightly without any water change yet and are sitting between 5 and 10 ppm while they were just a bit over 10 on friday. "

3ppm is much to high for a cycle with fish. It may have even gone above that level since you were testing infrequently. You MUST keep the ammonia and nitrIte level below 1ppm. And this can only be done by a PWC.

Oops there's a typo there that i missed. I meant the nitrites were getting near 1 ppm not 3, sorry i had been up way too late and gotten up way too early a few days in a row there :lol:

"It may have even gone above that level since you were testing infrequently."

Actually i tested every day, only missing the saturday & sunday that ended week two and that was due to being incredibly busy at a dog show & just too beat. I had expected the nitrites to keep climbing slowly as they had gradually up until then (they were just below 1 ppm on friday), and was setting up to do a partial water change. I tested on monday first though and noticed that the ammonia and nitrites were at or very very near 0 and nitrates hadn't grown like i expected, but were actually at about the same level.

Still no pwc and the nitrites and ammonia are showing 0 today, nitrates holding steady at around 8 i'm guessing as it's a bit below 10 but clearly higher than 5.

Not that it might mean a whole lot but the fish have also shown no visible change in behaviour or physical changes either. I know that usually by the time they may show any signs it probably means stuff is at an advanced level, but no change still isn't a bad sign either i s'pose.

The concern & input is appreciated though.

Sounds good, just be sure to add fish slowly to avoid over-stocking relative to your bacterial capacity, and you will be fine. Congrats.

Thanks, and that's exactly the plan as well. I figure we'll let it go for a week with the pleco and then maybe add one or two smaller fish every week to 2 weeks. Does that sound reasonable or would we be best to wait longer?

The plan is to eventually have: the bristlenose pleco, about 5-7 loaches - Dario & Yo Yo's (still deciding if we want just 5 of one, or 3 and 3, or even 5 and 3 etc), and also a small school of either Praecox Rainbows (or other similar sized rainbows) or a small school of tiger barbs. Still debating getting an RT Shark or Rainbow Shark but i figure with all the loaches we might get too many cave squabbles with the shark so i'm leaning towards scratching the shark idea.

In my 55G, I have 9 loaches I believe, and 2 rainbow sharks. The rainbows don't pay too much attention to the loaches. Had some chases at first, but now pretty much ignores them, as the loaches could care less what the rainbow wants, lol.

I have found that a tank with plenty of fast-growing, low-light plants will not cycle the same way as a tank depending completely on the bacterial cycle. I have done this twice now. The benefit is that you can start with fish much quicker. The downside is that in such a tank, you will have to worry if your lights are out for several days, as the plants will stop absorbing nitrogen compounds and give you an ammonia spike. (Happened to me, lights were out for several days while I was upgrading the fixture.)

Ok interesting, i'll definitely be sure to keep tabs on the lighting. I did stock a few small Dario Botia a couple of days ago and so far the levels have maintained. I'm keeping a close eye on it all and so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom