types of cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
butterfly_koi said:
Is that what its called?

It is also called Metriaclima callainos (Ice White)

butterfly_koi said:
Thanks for the pm kinda helps, I think I'm going with Malawi Mbunas is that a good start?

That's what snow white is (mbuna) so if that's what you want that's what your better off sticking too

Andrew McFadden said:
It is also called Metriaclima callainos (Ice White)

It is mild aggressive and I believe it gets 6" so when picking others I would stay with mild aggressive. It doesn't mean it will turn out good but it should be close

Last edited by a moderator:
butterfly_koi said:
Ok scratch that idea lol. I'm literally beginning to write all of this down. I'm sorry of I'm making you guys feel like your repeating yourselves I'm not doing it on purpose I promise. So let's start from here, I really want a snow white zebra mbuna what would be the best compatibility.

Ya its a lot of info Africa are completely different then other freshwater fishes. And its all trial and error

The yellow fin mbamba only gets 3-4" big that's the smallest size range for mbuna.

Afra cobue ( my wires fav.) Gets 4"
Rusty 3-4"
Red zebra 5"
Clown lab 3-4"
Aurora 5"
Yellow labs 4"
This is a few that I keep on the smaller side of things

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew McFadden said:
Ya its a lot of info Africa are completely different then other freshwater fishes. And its all trial and error

I'm swinging from guppies to cichlids, with guppies doesn't matter what kind they are they all go together they are so simple. I wanted cichlids because I'm ready to take a step up and challenge myself with a different type of fish. I really tip my hat off to you guys because this all confuses me to no end. I had no clue all that this fish entails till I really started looking into it

butterfly_koi said:
I'm swinging from guppies to cichlids, with guppies doesn't matter what kind they are they all go together they are so simple. I wanted cichlids because I'm ready to take a step up and challenge myself with a different type of fish. I really tip my hat off to you guys because this all confuses me to no end. I had no clue all that this fish entails till I really started looking into it

I went from salt to african so it was a big change for me too. I just got a bunch and tryed it. Now I keep a lot more then my list above but ill tell ya the clown labs are dead and would try and fight with the yellow labs. My male rusty is dead cause he picked on the male bumble bee. And my male bumble bee picks on my Pictus catfish and the turtle

Now my haps and peacocks that aren't on that list that I showed you do just fine and mind there own bees wax but I have them in a 180 gallon tank so I think that is why.

Ok let's talk bread here. Am I going to pay an arm and a leg for these type of fish? I just started selling my 3d aquarium backgrounds so the fish tank savings bank should start filling up soon. My husband says that since this is my project I have to fork out the cash for it (he likes the guppies lol)

Yellow Tail Pseudotropheus "Acei" get to similar size as the White Mbuna you are interested in. They are purplish/blue in color w/ yellow fins.

I would think he would really like these. The ones you can find at your lfs are cheaper I bought most of mine at WWW.livefishdirect.com never could figure out how they come up with prices. I figured the more common the fish the cheaper it would be.

If you go African that is true in Colorado at least they cost where I live 7 bucks each that's why I didn't do it for my 75 another reason I like south american much cheaper.

I guess this would be a good tome to tell you to make a note about stock. When stocking you want to stock all at once or in big groups due to aggression. If you do groups you'll have to move rocks around each time to make them all look for new spots. I made my background so I couldn't move it so I put in real rocks and cichlid rocks too to move around when adding new stock.

butterfly_koi said:
Ok let's talk bread here. Am I going to pay an arm and a leg for these type of fish? I just started selling my 3d aquarium backgrounds so the fish tank savings bank should start filling up soon. My husband says that since this is my project I have to fork out the cash for it (he likes the guppies lol)

Sorry I didn't answer that very well
The answer is yes they do cost more but it is well worth it. You can find them cheaper at and lfs or someone that is trying to sell cause they breed like no other or see if there is a local club that will be having a sale or auction soon

Ok I had to put my phone down yesterday because all this fish talk was making my head spin lol. The comment about stocking in groups makes sense. So just to start out I'll do some common Africans that way I know I'll be able to afford a group instead of buying them one at a time. What are some common Africans that I could start with. My lfs sells them but I want to make sure that they are compatible before I buy them

I would get a group of electric yellow lab everyone carrys them not to expensive and very eye catching

josh7 said:
I would get a group of electric yellow lab everyone carrys them not to expensive and very eye catching

I completely agree. It's prboably the easiest of the Malawi Cichlids to keep and care for. Grab 5 or 6 or so. You'll be able to add other fish as well later.

If you can, try to get 4 or 5 females and 1 male Labidochromis caeruleus. This helps minimize aggression especially when spawning. The dominant male will attack the other males. I just lost one of my juvenile Yellow Labs because he was under constant attack by the dominant male; my female is currently holding (mouth brooding). Note that Yellow Labs are sexually monomorphic so it is almost impossible to sex them other than through venting. They are omnivores. 4-5 " max size

Pseudotropheus "Acei" and P.socolofi would also work in the mix. Both Herbivores and 6" max. You would also get 4-5 females to 1 male ratio.

Maybe some Rusty Cichlids(Iodotropheus sprengerae) could work although they are less aggressive than many Mbunas. Red Zebras(Metriaclima estherae) may also work.

You can get Cichlid profiles and pics at
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2

It helped me a lot when choosing what Cichlids to go with.

rotorhead22 said:
If you can, try to get 4 or 5 females and 1 male Labidochromis caeruleus. This helps minimize aggression especially when spawning. The dominant male will attack the other males. I just lost one of my juvenile Yellow Labs because he was under constant attack by the dominant male; my female is currently holding (mouth brooding). Note that Yellow Labs are sexually monomorphic so it is almost impossible to sex them other than through venting. They are omnivores. 4-5 " max size

Pseudotropheus "Acei" and P.socolofi would also work in the mix. Both Herbivores and 6" max. You would also get 4-5 females to 1 male ratio.

Maybe some Rusty Cichlids(Iodotropheus sprengerae) could work although they are less aggressive than many Mbunas. Red Zebras(Metriaclima estherae) may also work.

You can get Cichlid profiles and pics at
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2

It helped me a lot when choosing what Cichlids to go with.

I would have to disagree about the rustys. Mine are bad and ran my yank for the longest time

Back
Top Bottom