UGF for 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff Cogs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone use UGF filters anymore. I’m setting up a 75 gallon tank I got a Fluval 407 and was wondering if I need a UGF too. Thanks

I used undergravel filters for years. Decades. They do a good job. Just be aware that if they are not maintained, they can be a Nitrate nightmare. After a few Nitrate failures, I started vacuuming the substrate to remove waste. I also went to the hardware store and found some PVC reducers so that I could connect a drain hose to the riser tubes...I would do a water change like this once or twice a year to clean out the plenum underneath the gravel. Other than that, it was mostly smooth sailing. So, to recap, just do partial weekly water changes as normal using a vacuum tool similar to Tetra Hydro Clean or some variation to drain your normal percentage of water. Then, once or twice a year, connect to the riser tubes and do your PWCs that way. But, overall, undergravel filters have a lot of science behind them and work well.

I have also heard that EHEIM has a reverse flow Undergravel Filter that pushes the waste into the water column so that a HOB or canister filter can remove the waste.

Hope this helps

Does anyone use UGF filters anymore. I’m setting up a 75 gallon tank I got a Fluval 407 and was wondering if I need a UGF too. Thanks
Hello, I was always under the impression that a canister filters gph should be 6-8 x tank volume (I personally like 8-10x) so the gph for a 75gal would be about 450-600gph.
There are so many opinions on internet it's hard to tell what's right or wrong so if it works for you do it. I've ran a ugf when new to hobby & always had a rough time keeping it clean & it always seem to smell fishy instead of normal. If wanting to use a ugf I think as stated reverse flow would be the way to go. Good luck!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom