Ugh, my aquarium...Overpopulation taken care of....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichchick79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, stupidly I set up my aquarium by combining my two other smaller aquariums and ended up over populated with fish. I was planning on getting a much bigger tank than my 55 gallon for the fish that would be bigger, because we are moving in about 6 months.
Other forums made me feel bad and feel like I was being a bad fish mommy, and I decided to get rid of some of my fishies. I wasnt trying to be a bad fish mommy because I am so into loving my aquarium and the fish, but man, some people on forums are reallllllly nasty.
Anywho, in my tank I had-

2 jack dempseys
2 convicts
4 buenes aries tetras
2 cories
4 large danios
2 red tailed sharks
2 red flame gouramis
2 plecos
1 peacock eel
5 tiger barbs

So I found homes for my pair of Jack Dempseys with my friend who has a 75 gallon tank with only a pleco in it, and my other friend is setting up a 30 gallon tank, and is taking the pair of convicts. (I discussed removing the eggs when the female lays them)

I feel pretty sad right now because the Jack Dempseys are my absolute favorite fish, and I really love how they interact with me. My boyfriend has been the one overpopulating the tank by adding fish, and its so nice to have soemthing we both are interested in. Thats why I decided to get rid of the Jack Dempseys instead of the other fish...

Anywho, just wanted to kinda vent and say im kinda sad right now...- Cassie

Reactions: HN1
We all make mistakes in this hobby, since there is a lot of room for error! At least you are taking care of it and giving fish away that can no longer be in the tank. Others may chime in to inform you of the others that you should be sending to new homes (I am not very good with specifics in stocking, but by looking at it a few of those seem out of place...don't take my word for it though, I could be wrong).

Regardless, I am here to inform you that AA is the place to be for you to learn and be guided in the right direction. 99.9% of the members here give solid advice, I can guarantee it. If others do come in and you feel they are being harsh, keep in mind that many treat this hobby like it's their child (which is not a bad thing) and are only looking out for the welfare of fish, and not personally attacking you.

Good luck!

Thanks guys! I like it too, ive been lurking here for a few weeks myself. Im all about my fish tank! Love sitting having coffee watching it!!

Welcome to the forum! I was also on another forum before I joined here, and I quickly deleted my account in the other place, and have been here ever since! The people here are nice, and the other place wasn't.

hi and welcome to AA Cassie. :wave:
if you care enough to feel bad when you realize you did something wrong and try to fix it, no matter what happens your being a good fish mommy.
just do your best and keep researching :)

So, stupidly I set up my aquarium by combining my two other smaller aquariums and ended up over populated with fish. I was planning on getting a much bigger tank than my 55 gallon for the fish that would be bigger, because we are moving in about 6 months.

Overpopulated in terms of bioload or physical space? If it's just bioload you could possibly add on another or bigger filter ahead of getting the bigger tank?

good thing u gave ur favor fish to ur friend, u can always as for it back when u do upgrade on a bigger tank.

Well, I haave a aquaclear 70 and a aquaclear 50 running in it, along with a powerhead and a airstick or two going. I like the bubbles, and the barbs are constantly swimming through them lol!! I change the water every four days so hopefully all this is good enough...lol!

Welcome to AA!!!! i was also on 2 other forums before i came here.. what a difference!!!

just to start off.... i do see a few problems with the original stocking list...

the tetras, corys, gourami and tiger barbs may have eventually wound up as food for the Jack Dempseys...

the Plecos.. are the a common pleco? if so they can grow up to be 2 feet... wayyy too small of a tank for them...

a bigger school of corys would also be great...

Back
Top Bottom