Uhg... Help please. White spot on GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
This GBR has a big white spot on her nose. Eating and acting normally, currently. Problem, I am leave for Virginia in the morning (be gone for a week) and I don't know if I should keep her in her tank or move her out to a ten gallon QT for the week and treat with salt and maybe an anti-fungal med. I was hoping that I would not have to have my father do any water changes but I am sure he wouldn't mind doing small ones on the ten gallon. What would you do?

Attachments

• image-1991595731.jpg
    image-1991595731.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 88
Thats a tough call. Is the spot a discoloration, a depression (pit) or is it fuzzy? Its clearly white in the pic but its impossible to tell what it exactly looks like.

Yeah, the little bugger won't stay still long enough to focus on it.

It started as two very small white pimple looking things that has grown and merged into one. It looks just like a big pimple without the red around it. It does look like it is depressed into the skin but the white has a bulge to it. It doesn't look fuzzy. It also looks like it has gotten smaller over the day but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. I don't really have a choice at this time but to leave her in the tank and hope for the best. I have left my father clear instructions to only feed every other day while I am away. I have been doing daily 50% PWCs on all my tank for the last five days to get the waters as clean as possible before I leave. I did 75% changes today and nitrates are as low as I can get them, 10ppm. If she is still with us when I get back and she shows no improvement then I will mover her to QT and medicate.

Enjoy your trip! Let us know how shes doing when you return & if you need some help! Hopefully, it will be gone! :)

Thanks. I'm hoping for snow but it doesn't look like it this year. Went two years ago at this same time and got three inches! The kids had a great time. Nothing like a 90 degree hot tub on the back porch with three inches of snow on the ground.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look at this thread and for your help. I will let you know what happens.

Please do! No snow this year (except for Halloween)! It was 80 degrees yesterday- record breaking warmth! Such a change from the last 2 winters when we got slammed with record snow. Have fun anyway! :)

Hooray! Just got back home about 30 minutes ago. Have yet to do a fish count because all the lights are off so I will do that in the morning. "Pinky" the GBR is still alive but I can't get a good look at her, I think I can still see the white spot on her nose. After things get settled down in the morning I will take a good look at her and decide if I need to move her out to QT.

She is looking pretty good so I am not going to stress her out by moving into a QT. The white looks mostly gone though there is a scar looking spot. I have large water changes to do on all my tanks tonight and I think I will do another on this tank tomorrow and see how she does over the next week.

Placed her in QT on Sunday night. Treating with salt and have the water temp up at 84f. She is looking much better. The white spot is totally gone but there is still a spot of what looks like scar tissue. Going to keep her in QT for a few more days and see what happens. Have not seen her eat anything since I moved her and she kind of just hangs around the bottom. We shall see.

Good luck!! Qt is always stressful for fish so hopefully this is the only reason she is not eating. Lets see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom