ummm what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sounds like its both good since they eat up all the bad stuff? So how do you get "filter media"? Like that doesn't make any sense to me cause a filter uses the cartridges...you can't expect me to ask for a whole filter cartridge from a store. What would they give me?

It depends on your filter. What type of filter do you have?
Some filters need filter media that have carbon inside a floss envelope. Some filters use carbon and a sponge separately and possibly (oh what's that stuff called....um....the little ammonia chips?) too. Personally, I like the media that are separate so that when it's time to change the carbon, you don't change the whole thing.

I have an AC50. But that doesn't mean the store or my friend has the same thing....just when someone says "get filter media from an established tank"...I need more than that. Like what to get and how much and where to put it and such.

oh, ok. Well thanks. I'll go to the store and see what PHYSICAL thing they can give me. If I get some gravel how much should i get? Where should I put it?

Sorry bout the delay in responding - but in terms of the 2 types of bacteria:

Heterotrophic bacteria are naturally self-defeating. So, unless you're dumping fish-killing-amounts of ammonia into your tank every day - the heterotrophs will all starve and eventually leave the Autotrophs to handle the cycle.

The reason Autotrophs maintain an aquarium cycle is that they're slow to reproduce, but they're also slow to starve - so they'll stick around and handle the ebb and flow of the "fish poo buffet".

A small handfull of substrate or filter media will suffice. You can put it in a clean peice of nylons and just set it in the corner of your tank or actually in your filter if it will fit, until your filter populates. After that you can just throw it out in the trash. I also run an extra HOB filter on my active aquariums so that when I want to start a new tank or QT I already have a filter with established media in it.

oh, ok. Well thanks. I'll go to the store and see what PHYSICAL thing they can give me. If I get some gravel how much should i get? Where should I put it?

You can offer to buy some new gravel in exchange for some of their old gravel. We're just giving you some ideas. You don't have to take anyone's advice. We just understand how hard it is to be patient. These ideas are just to speed up the process. You can do it without but it could take a couple of weeks longer.

So a little update:

Ph is now 7.0-7.5 (closer to 7.5 I'd say)
Ammonia is 0.6
nitrite: 0
nitrate: less than 5 but readable.

Geez this just gets more and more complicated lol.

So we don't want heterotrophic bacteria? How do we know if it's in there and how do we get rid of it (if we don't want it)?

You let the natural cycle take care of that. After cycling it still takes a while for the aquarium to mature. That is why sometimes there is cloudy water in an aquarium even though the tank is cycled. There is enough bacteria in the filter to convert ammonia to nitrite then nitrate, but there is also a bacterial bloom in the water. Sometimes it takes a while to go away.

So I've got myself some prime and big Al's bio support. I've put a "start up" dose of the bio support(bacteria) so that I can get this under control

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom