Uncycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
Gotcha. Sounds like the ammonia converting bacteria are starting to do their job, which is good. Hope that active sponge filter speeds things up, looking forward to updates.

Aha ! Yeah hopefully ! I'm still waiting to receive the active sponge filter in the mail until then I'll test the water daily , what's your opinion on when I should dose the ammonia back up to 4.0 ppm ?

Aha ! Yeah hopefully ! I'm still waiting to receive the active sponge filter in the mail until then I'll test the water daily , what's your opinion on when I should dose the ammonia back up to 4.0 ppm ?

You are asking the wrong person that question, I don't do fishless cycling at all, I don't really know what they usually recommend. As long as there's ammonia in the tank then the bacteria have something to eat.

29 gallon water test results today . . .
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 2.0 ppm
Nitrite - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - 5.0 ppm

The water in the uncycled tank is getting really low , I put off adding water to the tank for some time now , is it ok if I add water to the tank and if I do what should I do ? Add more ammonia ?

Hi, yes you can top off water, just use dechlorinator.

I'd dose the tank back up to 4.

**Edit: as to your question about the angelsplus filter, I see no drawbacks in using it. I've used it successfully to fishless cycle a tank and many others on here have as well. In fact I still have mine in even though I don't need it anymore. Figure I can use it for a quarantine tank or to seed another tank if I ever need it.

librarygirl said:
Hi, yes you can top off water, just use dechlorinator.

I'd dose the tank back up to 4.

**Edit: as to your question about the angelsplus filter, I see no drawbacks in using it. I've used it successfully to fishless cycle a tank and many others on here have as well. In fact I still have mine in even though I don't need it anymore. Figure I can use it for a quarantine tank or to seed another tank if I ever need it.

Before or after I add the water ? And thank you should be recieving the filter tomorrow !

Mikey214 said:
29 gallon water test results today . . .
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 2.0 ppm
Nitrite - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - 5.0 ppm

Same results as yesterday ! I'm going to add water now since some evaporated and then dose the ammonia back up to 4.0 ppm

Same results as yesterday ! I'm going to add water now since some evaporated and then dose the ammonia back up to 4.0 ppm

Sounds good. You're only about a week in so your numbers are normal (actually seeing nitrite this early is a good sign if it isn't in your tap water). It usually takes 2 weeks for ammonia to drop, then nitrite shows soon after. The seeded filter should hopefully help a lot. Keep us posted.

librarygirl said:
Sounds good. You're only about a week in so your numbers are normal (actually seeing nitrite this early is a good sign if it isn't in your tap water). It usually takes 2 weeks for ammonia to drop, then nitrite shows soon after. The seeded filter should hopefully help a lot. Keep us posted.

When I first added the ammonia and tested the water there was no nitrites so I guess it can't be from my tap water ? It showed up and tested positive on the API master test kit a couple days after first dosing ammonia up to 4.0ppm

When I first added the ammonia and tested the water there was no nitrites so I guess it can't be from my tap water ? It showed up and tested positive on the API master test kit a couple days after first dosing ammonia up to 4.0ppm

Not sure, it would be a bit odd having nitrites this soon but may not be impossible. You could just test your tap water to find out for sure.

I received the active filter sponge just now ! I'm about to hook it up do I have to poor the water in the bag into my tank ?

Are the air bubbles suppose to come out through the tube or through the sponge ?

jetajockey said:
They are supposed to come out through the top of the tube.

I think I set it up right it's coming thru the top of the tube I hope I have the air tube in far enough and the pipe in the sponge far enough! Should I add the water from the bag that the active sponge came in to my tank to help cycle my tank , the water is gross !

You can add it if you want, I don't think it'd hurt anything. The beneficial bacteria is primarily in the filter media but some of it could have been dislodged through handling. If you don't want to gross your tank up though then that's understandable.

The pipe should just go down to about the center of the sponge and the airline tube should go down into the tube near the bottom.

jetajockey said:
You can add it if you want, I don't think it'd hurt anything. The beneficial bacteria is primarily in the filter media but some of it could have been dislodged through handling. If you don't want to gross your tank up though then that's understandable.

The pipe should just go down to about the center of the sponge and the airline tube should go down into the tube near the bottom.

Thank you !

Tank results a day after adding the angel plus active sponge filter . . .
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 4.0 ppm
Nitrite - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm

. . . Thoughts anyone TIA :thumbsup:

Mikey214 said:
Tank results a day after adding the angel plus active sponge filter . . .
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 4.0 ppm
Nitrite - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm

. . . Thoughts anyone TIA :thumbsup:

Tank results two days after adding the angel plus active sponge filter . . . .
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 0.25 ppm
Nitrite - 1.0 ppm ( I think either 1 or 2 really can't tell )
Nitrate - 80 ppm

Woah ! I'm excited ! I just added more ammonia I'll test in a half hour to see the results ! I aimed for 4.0 ppm !

Back
Top Bottom