Uncycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hholly said:
When it goes down to 0? That's what I would do anyway.

I just read if it goes down to zero you starve the bacteria of food and the bacteria will die ? Correct me if I'm wrong , so maybe I should dose back up to 4.0 ppm when it reaches around 1.0 ppm?

You have a little time before they starve but either way will work. So do what seems right to you.

Hholly said:
You have a little time before they starve but either way will work. So do what seems right to you.

I also purchased an active filter pad to help seed my 29 gallon tank so hopefully that helps the process along !

It will definitely help. I think the hardest thing about fishkeeping for me was finding the patience when cycling a tank. That was only for the first tank, though, as every one after that has been cycled immediately using seeded media.

LyndaB said:
It will definitely help. I think the hardest thing about fishkeeping for me was finding the patience when cycling a tank. That was only for the first tank, though, as every one after that has been cycled immediately using seeded media.

I will be receiving seeded media from a site mentioned on here , how long do you think that will take to cycle after I add the media to my tank ?

My seeded media came from my own tanks, so I knew how much stock the bb could handle, etc. I have no idea about cycling with seeded media you can purchase on-line. That just sounds, pardon the phrase, fishy to me.

You may have to get a good handle on being patient. ;)

LyndaB said:
My seeded media came from my own tanks, so I knew how much stock the bb could handle, etc. I have no idea about cycling with seeded media you can purchase on-line. That just sounds, pardon the phrase, fishy to me.

You may have to get a good handle on being patient. ;)

I'm not patient at all if you can't tell ! I believe library girl gave someone the site on another thread on here , a couple people used this and said it worked , is there any down sides to using this ?

New results for my 29 gallon uncycled tank, couple days after adding ammonia
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 2.0 ppm
Nitrite - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - 5.0 ppm

Thoughts anyone ? I have not dosed back up to 4.0 ppm yet as the ammonia has not dropped to 1.0 ppm

I'm not patient at all if you can't tell ! I believe library girl gave someone the site on another thread on here , a couple people used this and said it worked , is there any down sides to using this ?

Only those who have used it could really provide a viable opinion.

I've used and tested the angelsplus seeded sponge filter and it had good results, a lot more so than any bottled bacteria products I've used anyhow. They have a respectable company with a ton of aquarium supplies and high end angelfish strains, nothing fishy about it at all.

That said, there are a lot of factors involved even when using seeded media, it may or may not work right away, and it seems like if there is a drastic change in parameters from one tank to another that there is often still an adjustment period for the bacteria to go through and start working.

Patience is definitely a virtue, but why wait 5-6 weeks+ when there are viable alternatives?

jetajockey said:
I've used and tested the angelsplus seeded sponge filter and it had good results, a lot more so than any bottled bacteria products I've used anyhow. They have a respectable company with a ton of aquarium supplies and high end angelfish strains, nothing fishy about it at all.

That said, there are a lot of factors involved even when using seeded media, it may or may not work right away, and it seems like if there is a drastic change in parameters from one tank to another that there is often still an adjustment period for the bacteria to go through and start working.

Patience is definitely a virtue, but why wait 5-6 weeks+ when there are viable alternatives?

I should be receiving this product either Saturday or Monday

Mikey214 said:
New results for my 29 gallon uncycled tank, couple days after adding ammonia
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 2.0 ppm
Nitrite - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - 5.0 ppm

Thoughts anyone ? I have not dosed back up to 4.0 ppm yet as the ammonia has not dropped to 1.0 ppm

What are your thoughts on my results from this tank so far ?

Sounds like something is happening, unless you have nitrite/nitrates directly from tap. Color shade testing is far from an exact science so that's something to keep in mind as well. It's plenty good enough to do what we do with aquariums, though.

jetajockey said:
Sounds like something is happening, unless you have nitrite/nitrates directly from tap. Color shade testing is far from an exact science so that's something to keep in mind as well. It's plenty good enough to do what we do with aquariums, though.

I tested the TANK water the other day and there was no sign of nitrites in the TANK water and today it tested positive for nitrites . . . I did happen to test the TAP water for nitrates and the TAP water did test positive for nitrates which explains why my TANK water has been testing positive for nitrates since day 1

Back
Top Bottom