unexpected arrival... what to do..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
background info: had 65g tank with live rock kinda let it go.. kept water topped off but tank was overun with cyano

-now have 70 reef ready transferred DSB and liverock and added sump... it has been up for about 1 month

Yesturday I purchased some live rock rubble to put in the fuge part of the sump. I temporarily placed the live rock on top of my original live rock while i do a few things to the sump. Today I come home to find this on one piece of the new live rock:

whoru.jpg

I'm told its green star polyps. I want to make sure it survives. Should I find it a more established home for now or will it be ok in my newish tank? I do plan to keep corals in the future but I think the tank is too new for now?

What to do?!?

Thanks,

-Eric

Yes, it’s a type of starburst polyp. Polyps are pretty tough and if they are still alive at this point you have a good shot at them pulling through. If really depends on if your tank has cycled yet. What are your water parameters now ie: ph, nh3, no2, no3, ca, sg, temp, & po4 if you have that test. If you transferred the dsb & live rock you may have had a shorter cycle. Did you feed your tank to get the cycle going or continue it? Your 96 watt pc may not be enough light for it as it likes moderate to high light though. I’d place it a little higher up for it to flourish better.

The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within their bodies provide the majority of their nutritional requirements through photosynthesis. They also benefit from weekly feedings of micro-plankton or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates.

Back
Top Bottom