Unhealty Rasboras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markstanfill

Aquarium Advice Activist
3/5 of my Rasbora Espeis have either lost color, or in the case of two of them, have lost scales it seems and have developed large white spots. I removed all of them promptly and threw them in QT. Anyone ever seen this? Its hard to see in the pic, but that white spot underneath its dorsal fin, should not be there, and they are losing the orange coloring in the front of their bodies. Almost looks like a wound of some kind, but the tank is established with no agressive fish, and the pecking order has been set for some time now. Even my Neons dont dive bomb eachother anymore, the hierachy is set. New addition was a male and female bristlenose pleco yesterday, but I dont see them stirring up problems. Bad photo, but its the best I can get with my wifes crap digital camera. Got the pringles in focus though.
24256-albums713-picture5670.jpg

ROFL @ the Pringles!
My Rasb.'s did and had the same thing, and I used Melafix after losing 5 out of 7. I still have the two survivors going strong though!
Good luck!

Wait, is the Pringles can inside your aquarium?

Describe the white spot...is it flat? or cotton/fuzzy like? or is it eating away at the skin layer?

Flat. Almost looks like part of the skin is missing, like someone slipped with a fillet knife and took the scales off. And no, the pringles can is not inside, :) its by my QT tank by my wifes computer and she left them there I think.

Hmm your fish has the same thing my two Silver dollars had. They've had the same lesion you described. Flat blotch that looks like something ate away at the top layer of the skin but not all the way through. I treated them with tetracycline 250mg...twice within a month...and it did not help. I ended up transferring both of them into a 10gal QT and just did 50% water changes every 2 days. After two weeks they healed up pretty nicely. One of them has completely healed and the skin looks flawless...the other one is about 90% healed since it had it much worse than the other...so my cure for the two silver dollars was...clean fresh water treated with Stress Coat :)

how big are the plecos?? could they be hungry when your rasboras are peacefully trying to sleep near the bottom?

Back
Top Bottom