Unknown Cichlid--please help me identify him

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poppab02

Aquarium Advice FINatic
He's about a year old and a little over 4 inches, I've been looking since I bought him but still can't figure out what he is

tropheus something like deboise... I think those are the only jewel blue ones that are not mbuna cichlids. I think there are blue labs too. And they have yellow trim.
And that exhausts all I know of Lake cichlids.. ^_^ (just happens my daughter likes blue ones)
By morning someone who has one just like it will have answered ya!

Are there tropheus duboise that have no white spots? I didn't think there were, and he is missing that coloring.

Bump...
I saw one marked tropheous at the pet store that looked like yours..I was told it was elderly and that was why it was dark.
I know many labyrinths darken when older, so didn't think to question.

Cichlid freaks? hello? :lol: :p

Yeah, the cichlid is around a year old and has never had any white markings, besides the outside of his fins, that's what led me away from the thinking that he/she was a tropheus, but I don't know enough to say for sure.
I'm puzzled on determining what he/she is.

The head looks Mbuna-like to me. It sort of resembles my Gephyrochromis Acei. The body coloring is dark blue with a white tail. They also come in a yellow tail color morph.

Menagerie, that's somewhat funny because I have 3 yellow tailed acei's in my large tank that I recently introduced him with and they have become fast friends even though he's about 2 inches bigger than them. I had never seen nor heard that they could come in white tailed varieties. Any links that you could send me to with pics?
My acei's tend to be a purple and when agitated become lighter whereas the unknown tends to be almost black and has dark purple vertical stripes that come out when agitated. I don't know what to make of it but I figured that could be useful info.
By the way, Menagerie you were absolutely correct on identifying my other two fish as zebras in an earlier forum. Thanks.

You're welcome!
My favorite LFS that specializes in African cichlids had White Tails and I bought one. The next month there were Yellow Tails, but my tank is full and I went home empty handed. I would google the scientific name and look under images. If I ever get a digital, I will post all my fish. My acei is purple/blue depending on mood. It is a gorgeous fish!

Just an update

He is definitely a Pseudotropheus specie, I think I'm going to have to wait for him to get full size before I can figure it out. I think he's an elongatus but I'm not completely sure.
I'll get a better pic up this weekend so that you can get a better look at the guy.

Back
Top Bottom