Unknown snails???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few months ago I purchased 5 zebra nerite snails that sadly all died. Contacted LFS, it was bad stock and that issue has been dealt with. Anyway Now I have more and more snails that are popping up all over. Are these pest pond snails? Baby nerites? I though they needed brackish water to reproduce?

There are also what seems to be eggs on my Driftwood.

What should I Do?

Attachments

• IMG_4519.JPG
    IMG_4519.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4520.JPG
    IMG_4520.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4522.JPG
    IMG_4522.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4523.JPG
    IMG_4523.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 126
The eggs on your wood are from the nerites, they must have laid them before they died. The snails in the pictures are pest pond snails though.
I would try to remove manually as many of the larger pond snails as you can. Then buy some assassin snails. They will take care of the pond snails, but will not hurt the nerites if you ever wanted to give them another try.

The eggs on your wood are from the nerites, they must have laid them before they died. The snails in the pictures are pest pond snails though.
I would try to remove manually as many of the larger pond snails as you can. Then buy some assassin snails. They will take care of the pond snails, but will not hurt the nerites if you ever wanted to give them another try.

I had these guys when I first got plants. I personally thought they looked more like "bladder snails" than the results i got in searches for "pond snails". Essentially they're pests though, yes.

They can reproduce from a very young age, which is a pain. Just keep removing them whenever you see them, like khuligirl suggested. If you're like me and assassin snails are illegal in your country, various loaches or shrimp can eat them. I wouldn't go down that path if you don't have to though.

A good way to get a lot of them out of the tank at a time - if there is a lot of them - is to blanch a piece of lettuce and let it sit at the bottom of the tank overnight. In the morning, remove lettuce and accompanying snails :)

Bladder and pond snails are essentially the same thing. And yeah they are as annoying as ramshorn though pond/bladder snails are known to sometimes eat live plants as well so I'd get rid I them ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom