Unsure what is going on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover2018

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello

I am truly baffled on this and do not know what to do. So my ammonia has been high for the past week or so and I have been using API's Ammo Lock to detoxify the ammonia. However,today the fish were really inactive sitting on the bottom. The ammonia level somehow spiked from around 0.50 to between 4.0 and 8.0. I have a liquid test kit. I did a 50 percent water change and left their moon light on and the room dark to reduce stress. However, just know I noticed a stringy long poop that looks like the color of the pellet food I gave them this morning. However, I am not sure whether the bottom sitting and inactivity is from the stress of the ammonia levels or whether I am dealing with a parasite. I have had my aquarium up and running for about a month and a week now and I have had to change the filters twice because it would get so dirty. The water also started turning green after I started feeding them Repashy Super Gold Gel Food. I am truly baffled and hoping it is just stress but would love some advice! I have two baby oranda goldfish! They were super active even yesterday! I think it might just be stress but I am unsure what to do and these are my first two fish I have owned

Ammonia: 2.0 ppm
Nitrate:0
Nitrite: 0
PH: Not recognizable on my Freshwater Master Test Kit

Fish inside 29 Gallon Tank: 2 Fancy Oranda Goldfish

Last edited:
Don't change out your filter cartridges until the mesh-floss actually begins to unravel. Everytime you change out your filter cartridge you're throwing away all the benificial ammonia & Nitrite eating bacteria that was contained in it. You are causing a mini cycle resulting in your noted ammonia spikes. A dirty "Not clogged" filter cartridge is what you need.

If you did a 50% water change and your ammonia is now 2 ppm then you were running 4 ppm. You need to do 3 more 50% water changes. Do them about 6-8 hours apart if possible. Get your ammonia down to .25 ppm.

As V pointed out.....if the cartridge is dirty take some of your tank water out and put it in a container, clean up the cartridge in this water then stick the cartridge back in your filter.

Hello fish...

Goldfish are simple to keep. But, their tank needs a large water change weekly. I keep several species of Goldfish and change half or more of their water every week. These fish thrive with a bit of standard aquarium salt added to their new tank water. I add a rounded teaspoon to every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. Goldfish need nutrients from a vegetable source too. Anacharis, Hornwort, Water lettuce, Water sprite and a bit of organic minced garlic.

B

Back
Top Bottom