Unusual aquarium decoration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usckopp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. This will be my first aquarium (but my husband is much more experienced at this than I). I like unusual things and was thinking, could my freshwater aquarium be decorated mainly in black and white or perhaps resemble an underwater art museum? Are there any issues that I need to be aware of, for example, would the fish find the environment uncomfortable if it does not resemble a true coral reef? I want them to be happy, once we purchase them. I'd just love to do something unusual in design. Can I make my own decorations/ornaments? Do I just need to be aware that the materials and paint used are not toxic in any way to fish?
Any ideas on where I can find some information concerning this idea? I really appreciate the help.
Thanks,
USCKopp

Hi there, I've never put in anything that wasn't specifically made for aquariums. I think the issues are that you don't use anything that could break down into the water. From what I hear, some things that say 'non-toxic' on them might be okay for a little while, but with time might still degrade/dissolve thereby harming your fish. I'd be extremely careful about what you use.

As for colour, I've never heard anything about fish preferring certain colours over others. But come to think of it, you'd think they would for camoflage. Hmm, have no idea. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on this forum though!

Happy decorating!

I don't think the fishies are too fussy about decor. In fact, there was mention of a black & white gravel tank here & it was said to be stunning. I think the thing you have to worry about is that the home made ornaments will not break down & harm the fish or mess up the water, also beware of sharp edges, unstable designs, small cracks that might trap fish, etc.

Some people use aquarium rocks or gravel to build the decorations (using aquarium silicone as glue). Plastics & glass are usually OK. I heard of people using lego blocks to make stuff for the fish.

I say get creative & go for it!

I had wondered the same thing.. but I guess the one thing you have to worry about is if the paint will chip off and be eaten or just breakdown in water like PlatyLady said.

I wanted to put a plastic Finding Nemo activity scene I found but Id be worried it would make my fish sick

you could try just buying aquarium decorations in black and white. that way you know they'd be safe, and you could keep with your colour theme.

I have set up tanks using all kinds of things made of glass and food-safe ceramic. There are many glazes that contain heavy metals that would be harmful to your tank so if it is food safe, then it is aquarium safe. BTW, is this a FW tank? You mention the fish possibly preferring the coral reef decorations, so if it is SW then you need to be more careful about what you put in there. As far as FW goes you have more flexibility. In my early days in the hobby I set up a large goldfish tank using plastic toy animals, plastic people holding plastic balloons, and other circus-themed items. I had that tank set up for about 8 years with no problems but at the time I did not consider whether the decorations would be harmful to the fish. It was a cool tank and definitely a conversation piece!

I think it's a cool idea usckopp. People make their own backgrounds out of styrofoam and cork using water proof glue, and water proof paint.

Let your imagination go and post some pics :D

Back
Top Bottom