Unusual betta behavior.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. R

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As far as I know, when two male bettas are able to get to each other they will fight to the death, right? I have two (a purple and a very light white/blue) that I keep in a 1 2/3 gallon tank that is divided by a piece of screen like for windows. Recently, I noticed they had somehow switched sides of the tank, and two or three times now, they have been in the same side together. Funny thing is, I have never seen injuries. They both have some slight damage to their side fins,(I forget what they are called, the ones you would call "arms") but that's it. They almost give me the impression that I could move them into my ten gallon with my neons and platys if I took out the angels. Any idea what the deal is?

First, I wouldn't use window screen.

It can leak unhealthy chemicals into the water, and if you just inserted it in there without any anchoring on all 4 sides, then they can easily swim through it without fault.

and, honestly, 2 bettas in a 2/3gal container is to much IMHO.

Why not just get a 10gal tank and put a nice divider in there?

Iv'e seen Gallon containers, and their not big at all...2/3s would be even less, your fish are probably very cramped.

I don't really think you would be so lucky long-term if you let them be in an undivided tank. You said yourself that you noticed some damage on thier "arms". Even if they appear to get along at first within weeks they'd be going after eachother most likley.

Keep in mind just because you've seen them together hanging out and not appearing to be harming eachother doesn't mean that is the way they'll ALWAYS act towards eachother. Betta's tend to be a bit "moody" and when one gets upset the fighting will begin imho. :wink:

and, honestly, 2 bettas in a 2/3gal container is to much IMHO.

Not 2/3, 1 2/3

1 2/3 gallon is still much too small for two bettas. Since they are in such close quarters, I wouldn't be surprised if this aggression always continued. Like William said, get a 10 gallon tank and a divider. You can buy dividers the right size for a 10 gallon tank. I believe that if you leave the two bettas in this small bowl together, they will be very stressed, and that will lead to illness. You will not have two happy, healthy bettas in this setup. It's cheap and easy to set up a divided 10 gallon tank. I have each of my bettas in a 5 gallon tank.

yeah at least a 5 gallon tank. it'll be about 50$ for the whole setup. go to walmart and get a 10 gallon tank. its about 10$ the hoods about 20$ filter 15-20, heaters around 15$. you can buy that part frmo bigals. their the cheapest and they have the ebo jagers still. i got a 150 watt on my 29 gallon and it keeps it almost always at 80. the rest of the tanks go from 76-82.

Back
Top Bottom