Update of Beengirl's 55g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow this looks great!! I am hoping to start a FOWLR in a few months, then maybe a nano reef with just corals and inverts eventually :)

Thank you! :) I have a FOWLR too, if you wanna check that thread out, it's called "Beengirl's 30g FOWLR starts." It in the FOWLR section. :)

Got a new condy nem today that was attached to a rock, so I bought the rock too. When I got home, turns out I got a hitchhiker fish!!! Yea!! After comparing it to pics on LA, it looks like its an orchid dottyback, it has the black line by the eyes.

image-61971787.jpg

Of course, by the time I got home, the nem had let go of the rock (so I bought the rock for nothing-errrr), that's why it isn't on a rock in the pic. And I did put it upright, too. :)

Got a new condy nem today that was attached to a rock, so I bought the rock too. When I got home, turns out I got a hitchhiker fish!!! Yea!! After comparing it to pics on LA, it looks like its an orchid dottyback, it has the black line by the eyes.

Of course, by the time I got home, the nem had let go of the rock (so I bought the rock for nothing-errrr), that's why it isn't on a rock in the pic. And I did put it upright, too. :)

A hitchhiker fish!? That's awesome!!

Here's a pic of the new nem.

image-506024294.jpg

It doesn't look quite that pink in person; iPhone messes with the color.

Beengirl said:
Here's a pic of the new nem.

It doesn't look quite that pink in person; iPhone messes with the color.

Looks kind of like a condy. What is it again?

My camera has issues with color sometimes, too. It's hard to get real true to life colors when I don't know what I'm doing. lol The settings that are accurate always make the fish blurry and the ones that aren't blurry look off. It's impossible to commit to a DSLR because I think "I could get another tank for that price!". -_-

Looks kind of like a condy. What is it again?

My camera has issues with color sometimes, too. It's hard to get real true to life colors when I don't know what I'm doing. lol The settings that are accurate always make the fish blurry and the ones that aren't blurry look off. It's impossible to commit to a DSLR because I think "I could get another tank for that price!". -_-

Good call!! It is a condy. :)

BTW, I found out that the orchid dottyback online is listed between $50-70. So I did say something to the LFS about the hitchhiker, and was told not to worry about it. Yea!!!! Now I have a free fish AND a clear conscience. Lol.

BTW, I found out that the orchid dottyback online is listed between $50-70. So I did say something to the LFS about the hitchhiker, and was told not to worry about it. Yea!!!! Now I have a free fish AND a clear conscience. Lol.

Honesty is always rewarded. :)

Beengirl, what type of lighting do you have in your tank? It looks very blue. I just put some ocean blue kessels in my 150g and i'm wondering if that will be enough light to support my corals. I had some led strips that my lfs guy recommended and all my corals started to shrivel up and my anemone is starting to shrivel. I have a kessel on it right now and tomorrow i'm adding a new HO T5 fixture to see if that helps. The led strips that the store recommended are starting to look dim and i'm getting alot of algae. Wondering what your thoughts are about the blue lighting?

I have the Kessil in ocean blue. When I started getting coral, someone in here told that I would be able to grow anything with that light. And so far, that's been true. My nem has been doing great, I have LPS, SPS, and soft. In person, the tank isn't that blue. The iPhone makes it look bluer, and the background is painted a pretty bright blue, so that kinda throws off color in pics. I really don't think you'll need the additional lights. You have a corner or rectangle 55? How many Kessil you have on it?

Got 2 new frags today. :) A blue ricordea, which is really ticked off still because I just finished acclimating, and my first acan head. :) the acan head has much better color than the pic shows, which is a little disappointing.

image-195374748.jpg

Got 2 new frags today. :) A blue ricordea, which is really ticked off still because I just finished acclimating, and my first acan head. :) the acan head has much better color than the pic shows, which is a little disappointing.

Those are pretty! I hope your ric gets happier faster than mine is.

Those are pretty! I hope your ric gets happier faster than mine is.

It was pretty tensed up at first, but After a couple of hours, it started to get bumpy and flatten out some. Not fully expanded, but happier. :)

Nice! It's a shame that good pictures are so hard to take. My camera can only get half decent pictures every once in a blue moon.

Nice! It's a shame that good pictures are so hard to take. My camera can only get half decent pictures every once in a blue moon.

I know. It stinks. :( There's no way I'm spending thousands on a good camera to take tank pics, though. I'd rather use that money on a vaca. :)

I know. It stinks. :( There's no way I'm spending thousands on a good camera to take tank pics, though. I'd rather use that money on a vaca. :)

Oooooh. You just made me want to go on a cruise! I only use my iPhone to take pictures. Every once in a while it'll take a good one.

Back
Top Bottom