Update of Beengirl's 55g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought this sebae anemone today. It's huge, about 4 1/2-5" across!! It's VERY bleached, so I'm hoping it will live. I got a great deal on it, only $23! (I'm guessing cuz it's so bleached). I'm gonna give it a try and see how it does. I'm gonna keep a close eye on it and pull it out if it looks like its not gonna make it. I put it right at the top by the light.

image-2134972008.jpg

My GBTA is doing fantastic, is so dark brown now that it kinda blends into the rocks!! Lol. Everything else is doing well, corals are growing. My green monti frag is starting to curl up at the edges!! Yea!!!! :)

So my starry blenny has taken a real liking to the sebae. :eek: It's weird. He never used to sit on the rock next to where the sebae is, but now he's there all the time and staring at it!! lol I'm hoping that he doesn't stress it out even more than it already is cuz I'm hoping to nurse it back to health and he is so not helping the cause!:ermm: He's acting as if he wants to host it, but have never heard of anything other than a clown hosting. Has anyone else?:confused:

Thats a BEAUTIFUL tank you have there.

Question do you only have Antnic Ligting or are are your HQI Blue in color and if so how has that affected your coral growth?

Thank you so much!! :) the only lighting I have is a Kessil LED in Ocean Blue, it's a 15000k light. The corals are doing great and the BTA is very dark brown! yea!! the tank only looks extra blue in the pics because the background is very blue and they're all iPhone pics, which makes it look more blue than it really is.

Bad news: the sebae I was trying to rehab didn't make it.

Some of my Nassarius eggs hatched!!! Have seen 4 itty bitty ones so far. I'm really glad that all of them didn't hatch cuz there were thousands if eggs! That would have been not so great!! Lol.

I got some start polyps and new zoas, will post pics tomorrow when they're out and pretty. They're so pretty!! :)

Bearchumjs said:
That's awesome about the snails! And I'm excited about the pictures! Do you know what kind of zoas you got?

I have no idea what kind of zoas I got. Lol. They looked green in the store with a few orange ones on there too. But when they opened a little in my tank, they looked more yellow. So I guess we'll see what they look like tomorrow when they open up. :) and they star polyps are very pretty with white centers, but only about 3 of the 50 or so stars opened tonight. Hopefully they open more tomorrow.

Oh, I also added a hob refugium that I made out of an aqua clear filter!! Added some pods to it too. Been wanting to do this for a while, but life got in the way. Lol. I'm excited, hoping pods multiply like crazy. My husband wants a mandarin at some point down the line, but I wanna wait on that.

Beengirl said:
I have no idea what kind of zoas I got. Lol. They looked green in the store with a few orange ones on there too. But when they opened a little in my tank, they looked more yellow. So I guess we'll see what they look like tomorrow when they open up. :) and they star polyps are very pretty with white centers, but only about 3 of the 50 or so stars opened tonight. Hopefully they open more tomorrow.

I was looking in the tank with a flashlight just now an saw a good view of my Pom Pom crab and she has her anemones back!!!! I thought she might have been holding Zoa polyps cuz she lost her nems shortly after molting months ago. But they were her nems!! yea!!!! She must have found them!!!!! That makes me so happy!! :)

Beengirl said:
I was looking in the tank with a flashlight just now an saw a good view of my Pom Pom crab and she has her anemones back!!!! I thought she might have been holding Zoa polyps cuz she lost her nems shortly after molting months ago. But they were her nems!! yea!!!! She must have found them!!!!! That makes me so happy!! :)

Awww! I bet she is so cute!! I may have to get one since I can keep everything alive except fish... I'm glad she found her Pom poms. Now she can cheer on the rest of her tank mates. Yay!

Man, you actually can find your pom pom? In my 55 I added one months ago and thought it died like most of the crabs I try to keep until it showed up after lights out last week...it has yet to be seen again.

Bearchumjs said:
Awww! I bet she is so cute!! I may have to get one since I can keep everything alive except fish... I'm glad she found her Pom poms. Now she can cheer on the rest of her tank mates. Yay!

You should totally get one!! They are so cute!! :) and in your tank you'd be able to see it a lot, has too many places to hide in my tank, so see her every once in a while. She's carried eggs twice now. I'm really glad she found her poms, still not sure how she did that. Lol. But it's definitely her poms. If they lose one Pom they can split the remaining one and have 2 again. But she lost both when she put them down to molt. Looked it up and it apparently common for them to lose them. I read in the wild if a Pom Pom has lost both and they aren't near that particular type of anemone to get a new one, then another Pom Pom will give one to the one that lost both!! And then they'll both split the one they have and then have two! :) that is SO sweet. They share! Thats what i read and I hope that's true cuz that's just so cute. :)

Sniperhank said:
Man, you actually can find your pom pom? In my 55 I added one months ago and thought it died like most of the crabs I try to keep until it showed up after lights out last week...it has yet to be seen again.

She has a couple of spots that she usually hides and I can sometimes see her at night with a flashlight. She's carried eggs twice, and I only saw her a couple of times then cuz she hides very well with her eggs. The first time she carried, I didn't see her for weeks, thought she had died. Then found her carrying. She is so cute. If I see her at dinner time, ill spot feed her a piece or two of mysis and she grabs it pretty quick. :)

Bearchumjs said:
Pics of the new corals?

I know, I'm gonna. The problem is that I went to the store today and bought a yellow-green ricordia and a frogspawn. Then I cleaned the tank and did a PWC while they were acclimating, so now everything is ticked off and not out again quite yet. I'm gonna try to get some tonight before lights out, or I might have to do it tomorrow. The frogspawn is really pissed off!! Lol.

So the frogspawn is just starting to come out, still mad though.

image-2095382279.jpg

Here's a pic of the ricordia, unfortunately the plug is white, so it's throwing off the pic. It's a green-yellow and looks LOTS better in real life. It's still not fully expanded.

image-901663720.jpg

And here's my gorgonian, who seems very happy with all it's polyps out.

image-3100382002.jpg

Bearchumjs said:
I want a gorgonian. What type of flow does it like?

It like medium to high flow and moderate to high light. Mine is a light pink color, it's fragile looking, kinda sways like a tree. But it has all of its polyps out every day, so it seems happy. When I bought it, it didn't have any polyps out at the LFS. Looks a lot better now. :)

Back
Top Bottom