Update of Beengirl's 55g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's some updated pics of the tank. Everything Seemed so happy today. :) I was thinking that the zoas didn't have much growth, but when I compared pics from when I first got them, they've all grown 50-100% more heads. :D

attachment.php

Wow awesome aquascape. I love it. Good job.

Maybe you can teach me how to grow zoanthids? Mine hate my tank.

Wow awesome aquascape. I love it. Good job.

Maybe you can teach me how to grow zoanthids? Mine hate my tank.

Thank you!!

I really don't do much with the zoas. Just do regular PWCs that keeps my nitrates low and have an LED light. I have a lot of snails and hermits, and they'll bump them pretty regularly and make them close for a while, but otherwise they seem to be doing okay.

I was Comparing pics from when i got some corals To now, and some are growing well. Funny how ya don't notice the growth when you see it every day. Here's a few months ago and now for the blue-eyed brain:

image-3209427565.jpg

image-1265907666.jpg

And here's the GSP from a month and half ago and then now:

image-495735928.jpg

image-906246389.jpg

The pink gorgonian had a new stalk started, so I guess it's happy too. And the blue gorgonian is doing well, polyps are out most of time.
Here's a new small birdsnest frag I got

image-236472124.jpg

That's all the news for now! Thanks for following!

Looks great! Agreed, you never really notice the growth. Thats why im always sure to take lots of pictures:D

Looks great! Agreed, you never really notice the growth. Thats why im always sure to take lots of pictures:D

Thanks a lot!! I'm glad I've been taking pictures all along or I would never have realized. Have a great holiday!!!!

Beengirl said:
Thanks a lot!! I'm glad I've been taking pictures all along or I would never have realized. Have a great holiday!!!!

You too! May we all recieve corals and fish...and better cameras to share our gifts with our fellow reefers!!! Lol

So all is not well in Shangri-La. :( my b/w clown has gone a little psycho. We haven't seen the anthias in almost a week. She was usually swimming right by the clown, and would school with the chromis sometimes. We've had the anthias about 4 months and all other fish are fine. Couldn't figure it out.
Well, I think I know the problem. My clown hasn't officially hosted the frogspawn, but she does go to it frequently and rub on it and shove her face in it. The frogspawn is right by where the clown hangs out during the day. Today I saw the clown attacking a chromis that dared swim near the frogspawn during dinner! She bit at the chromis' fins a few times until it left the area where the frogspawn is. Now the poor chromis is swimming in a corkscrew pattern, so she must have hurt him more than it seemed. :(
I'm thinking that the clown might have attacked the anthias (anthias was still smallish) because she usually hung out by the frogspawn too. The anthias must have died and was cleaned up by the crabs.
I'm gonna move the frogspawn to another area, do you think that will help? I only thought it might because right now she hangs out there and the frogspawn is there, kinda a double whammy in territoriality.

Moving the frogspawn should help. I moved my flowerpot that my b/w clown loved and he hasn't been near it since.

I hope it works. The clown seems a little ticked off right now. Lol. I moved it and she swam over to look at it in the area and then chased one of the bangaii a little bit, then went back to her usual spot. She keeps looking at the coral that's in the frogspawns old spot, it's not a comfy looking one. :D I guess it was a good thing she hadn't hosted anything yet, if she's gonna act like that.
Good news though, the chromis that was swimming in corkscrews is back to swimming normally! :) guess she must have stunned him more than hurt him.

Sounds like things are going better!

I hope so! I've been working the last 2 days and have not been feeling well, so I fed the tanks quickly. other than that I haven't really looked at the tank much for couple days. I'm off Wed, so I'll have to see how the clown is behaving.

Moved my candy cane today cuz it was a little too close to the hammer and a small part of it got stung. :( When moving it, noticed a brittle star was hanging onto the bottom of the small rock that its on. I knew that I had a couple mini brittles in there. Well, this one is at least 3 1/3" across, tip to tip, so its not a mini one, right? How big do the mini ones get? This thing was a hitchhiker, and I'm a little creeped by the brittle stars; they're not very cute. Lol. Just how big do the large brittles get in general? Logically, I know it won't hurt me, but still don't wanna put my hand anywhere near it! Lol. I guess I can add them to my short list of phobias, right after spiders. Haha

BTW, my hammer split, so now 2 heads. :) And my candy cane has another mouth on the large head now and looks to be "kinking" in the middle, so I think that's gonna turn into a new head too!! :)

BTW, my hammer split, so now 2 heads. :) And my candy cane has another mouth on the large head now and looks to be "kinking" in the middle, so I think that's gonna turn into a new head too!! :)

Do you feed the candy cane? Mine has been the same since August or September.

I do once in a while. Not on a regular basis. Sometimes I notice that it has caught some food during dinner time. A mysis, brine or bloodworm, etc here and there is all. If I fed it regularly, it would probably grow better. :/
How's your tank? Did you find your yellow tailed damsel?

Back
Top Bottom