Update on my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, if anyone remembers, (lol) about two weeks ago, I got some rescued fish. They are doing great now, with the exception of the buenos aires tetra, who i have yet to see eat. He must be eating something though, because i dont think even fish can go 2 weeks without eating. He hides out behind the plants alot, so I put some food back there for him, so its ossible he could be eating that. I have the same problem with one of my cherry barbs, although I havnt seen her eat for around a month and a half. She is still very skinny,better than she was however, so im not to worried about either of these fish because they seem otherwise healthy. I was really worried the new and much bigger fish would cause a ammonia/nitrite spike, but when i tested last week there was 0 ammonia and 0.1 nitrite. Today, i tested again, with the same results. (well, mabye the nitrite was a little higher, but under .25 and the ammonia is still 0) I guess its just a matter of time before the Nitrite------>Nitrate bacteria catch up to the Ammonia------>Nitrite bacteria. Correct? Is there any point in doing a water change? Ill do it if its necessary, but Im not feeling well, so I dont want to if i dont have too. not to sound in sensitive to the fishes needs or anything, I just dont feel up to lugging 10 gallons of water around. LOL

you are pretty on point with everything you said. Increasing the bioload could cause a small spike, as the nitrates can't handle the increased ammonia load until they build up from it. I am assuming that you are seeing a small nitrite spike (ammonia being converted to nitrite) and surely soon enough it will be eaten by nitrates which are acceptable forms of biological matter in the aquarium. Right now the readings seem fine, however, I would keep a close eye on nitrites as they are very harmful to your fish's gills and respiration systems. If it increases much more, I would def. do a water change.

Back
Top Bottom