Upgrading filters, advice.. help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ldavi133

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I currently have the marineland penguin 150 on my 29 gallon high top. The tank has been up and running for almost 3 weeks, and from what I've been reading I could use some better filtration, so I went out and bought the penguin 200. How can I change out the units without biologically disturbing my tank?

As a side note, I did have to replace the cartridge in my 150 on Monday as it was falling apart and extremely dirty, even after cleaning in water from the tank. So, I cut the old filter and placed it over my new one so the good bacteria can still cycle through, also did a 20% water change. Since then my water has been cloudy.

Any advice/tips on how to make the switch safely, I would greatly appreciate!

Tank inhabitants: 5 diamond tetras, 6 neon tetras, and 2 guppies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anyone? Please...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Adding old media to your new filter was the best thing to do: it should cycle fairly quickly. Still, I'd watch the tank for any ammonia spikes for a couple of weeks and keep some Seachem Safe handy if one does occur. The cloudiness should clear in a few days.

Add some old media into new filter. Run both for couple weeks. That will drop the odds of a cycle

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom