Upgrading-stocking ??'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in the process of upgrading to a 36 gallon tank.
I currently have 4 mollies and a snail and would be moving these
Into the new tank.
Would like any and all suggestions to stocking it.

Would like to look into getting
1 angel fish
1 dwarf gourami

Plus any other suggestions.

With that stock and with Mollies having a high bio-load and the potential to get large along with an angelfish and dwarf gourami you could get a group of 4 cory cats and possibly a school of 6 small tetras or rasboras and that would be it. If it were me I'd drop the angelfish and do the rest of the fish suggested.

Okay, thanks.
Any more suggestions to go with the 4 mollies? I really like dwarf gourami's so would like to have at least one of those.

What about dwarf puffers??

Any my opinions are welcome

Okay, thanks.
Any more suggestions to go with the 4 mollies? I really like dwarf gourami's so would like to have at least one of those.

What about dwarf puffers??

Any my opinions are welcome

Why don't you go with 3 mollies and 1 dwarf gourami? That would work with the school of small fish and cory cats. Dwarf Puffers are very aggressive and wouldn't work in your community tank.

Sorry kinda new to this, what is gbr?
And getting rid of one of our mollies won't be an option,
My wife won't let me do that....haha.

So if i had 4 mollies and a dwarf gourami, what else could I put in the tank.
Like the idea of schooling fish.
And what about one of the sucker fish that cleans the tank.
Or is the snail good enough for that??

Only get one dwarf gourami and there can be serious aggression when trying to keep two. Cory cats are a good cleaning crew and you really don't need to add a pleco or other algae eater, especially in a new tank. Down the road a Bristlenose Pleco would work because they stay small. Other pleco's get too large and those little chinese algae eaters they sell in fish stores also get very large and aggressive. Adding about 8 nerite snails is the best choice. They can't reproduce in freshwater.

Thanks... So if i do my 4 mollies, and snail and add 1 dwarf gourami. And some more snails. I could still have 8-10 small schooling fish? Anything else? Just trying to put together a colorful community tank.

Thanks for all your help. Greatly appreciated

I think with the stock mentioned (don't forget the cory cats) you would be full up due to the mollies high bio-load and eventual size.

My plan is to get a 36 gallon bow front aquarium next weekend. I plan on transferring my 4 mollies and 1 snail into the tank.
I plan to add:
1 angelfish (maybe 2??)
1 dwarf gourami
3 cory cat
6-8 tetras or some type of small schooling fish
And maybe a couple more snails

Would this be ok??? And how soon could i add these other fish?

With 4 mollies I really wouldn't add any angels. That is just putting too many fish in considering the size of mollies. The rest would be fine but in a 36 I'd do 4-6 cory's of the same species since they like to shoal around together especially when foraging. Julii's are about the most active cory's around and don't get overly large so 6 of them would work.

If you use your old filter to help speed your cycle and possibly your old gravel then add your mollies, I'd start testing for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates and wait to add fish until your sure the new tank has cycled. Then only add a few at a time and wait until the BB has time to increase with the new bio-load.

Ok thanks, but darn. Was really hoping to get an angelfish. I think they are sweet looking fish.

Correction. I have 3 mollies and a platy and a snail. Not 4 mollies. Not sure if that is going to make a difference or not on what I can put on the 36 gal

Correction. I have 3 mollies and a platy and a snail. Not 4 mollies. Not sure if that is going to make a difference or not on what I can put on the 36 gal

Platies still have a high bio-load so it doesn't really matter.

Rivercats said:
Platies still have a high bio-load so it doesn't really matter.

Does anyone know what fish this is ???? Pleas help is appreciated :)

Attachments

• image-3836735272.jpg
    image-3836735272.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 38
  • image-1210166182.jpg
    image-1210166182.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom