Upgrading tank 150 gallon???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hiroshi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right here goes! I'm thinking of upgrading from my 55 gallon to a 150 one..but the thing is it going to be in my bedroom... :/ do you think it will be stable? Is there anyway I could make sure? Taking into everything into account live rock,live sand,the fish itself the sump can anyone help?
Many thanks
Dylan XD

You may not want that in the bedroom, even the quietest tanks are too noisy for most people to sleep with. That is the main reason I keep my reef in the library.

I got the tank in my bedroom now.I find the noise of the water flow and protein skimmer quite relaxing.. :/

Man every litre weighs 1 pound, that's 340kg and that's just the water, u got the cabinet, rock, sand ect that could b nearly half a ton, hope ur bedroom is on the ground floor otherwise it may go through the sealing!!!

Two fat people sleep on water beds all the time without going through the floor. People have gun safes in their bedroom, and parties with a bunch of fat people. Honestly it is not as big of an issue as it seems. I have never heard of someone having a tank go through the floor.

I just had a quick re calculation what I said about the weight of the water was wrong, it's actualy a pint of water weighs one pound, there are 2.2 pints in a litre so 750l would weigh 3/4 of a metric ton, that's just the water!!!!!! Seriously put it on your ground floor. Especially if ur house is timber framed, I just asked my mate who is a structural engineer and he said ur mad if ur goon to put it upstairs.

Sorry to piss on it parade and please post some pics once set up :)

My 150 is on the second floor, water bed on the third. Again, people are fat, have gun safes, sleep on water beds, and have parties. Floors are over built and under-rated. If anyone has a story of any tank going through a floor ever please share.

150gallons of water is over 1200lbs... add a stand,whatever substrate you use and your probably going over 1400. Id really look into your flooring before you went that route. Not sure how fat you guys are but I really doubt your both around 700lbs lol... Just my opinion

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

Haha!!! Hope I'm not getting called fat :/ 8 stone XD haha! Decisions I've got 2 4th tanks in my bedroom now just want to upgrade :/ XD

True, but how much does the water bed that two fat people sleep on add up to? And the gun safe right next to the bed?

Haha I wasnt calling ya fat just think you should really think about how much weight you have on your floor already :) I could only imagine how bad it would be if it fell through the ceiling. Best of luck to ya!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

I work in an engineered wood division of a lumber company and I can tell you that a 1200 pound point load on a joist will have significant deflection and possible shear issues. You may be fine but I wouldn't want that going through my floor. Lol. I would at least look into what way your floor joists run and try and put the tank across them.

Tom-tom said:
Man every litre weighs 1 pound, that's 340kg and that's just the water, u got the cabinet, rock, sand ect that could b nearly half a ton, hope ur bedroom is on the ground floor otherwise it may go through the sealing!!!

Every liter weighs one kilogram or two point two pounds!!! Bit of a miscalculation
Could be bad. Good luck

Ok I do construction for a living all houses are built very similar. Their are 2x6 pressurized wood every 16" along your floor or ceiling with at least 3/4" thick plywood on top of that then your floor. You will be fine. Not a problem I sometimes have to do a floor over where people want granite on the floor and the floor is so unlevel that I have to pour 2" -3" of concrete down then lay the granite on top and it's never an issue. If you want to be extra safe buy a piece of plywood cut to size of the cabinet lay it on the floor then put the stand and tank on top this will spread the weight around more evenly. But not needed

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

When you look at it, we think it's slot of weight, but consider this for a 150gal tank.

Weight of water 1350lbs ( at 9 lbs per gallon which is about 1/2 lb heavier than in reality). Let's be absurd and say the weight of sand,rock, stands and gear is the same... Thus a total of 2700 lbs. Holly crap that's alot !!!! But.......
the tank is 72"x18" or 1296 sq inches ( assuming it has a solid flat bottom on the stand, which any good one will).

So the lbs per square inch is 2.08. Does anyone want to argue that a 3/4 inch plywood over 2x8 joists can't take that?

Over time it will distort the beams. And you need your head checking if ur even considering it. It's been discussed on other forums that I'm on and there was a story of a guy with a 180g and it split his beams and he had £10,000 of damage. If u don't believe me google it.

Could you google it and provide a link? I would love to hear a single story of a tank going through the floor.

Back
Top Bottom