Upgrading tank 150 gallon???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think some things are being blown out of proportion. I'm not sure where you're at, but since everybody keeps talking about litres, I'm going to assume it's not in the US. That said, I have no idea what building codes have to be where you're at. If you have 2x6 or 2x8 floor joists, I honestly can't see a problem. As previously said, water beds are put in bedrooms all the time. I would, however, suggest that you find out which way the floor joists are running and put the tank perpendicular to them so that the weight is spread out between multiple joists rather than just one or two. I would be even less concerned about a 6' tank than a 4' tank as the weight is distributed to almost half the weight per square inch with the 6' tank over a 4' tank.

I would put my construction engineer license on the line. And bet that it will hold.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

I would put my construction engineer license on the line. And bet that it will hold.

+1

theres probably no chance it will come crashing through the ceiling lol

hackteck said:
+1

theres probably no chance it will come crashing through the ceiling lol

I will offer to pay for the damage if it does. Hows that for security. LOL

I also work in construction. If it were me, I would be ok with putting it upstairs, as long as the floor joists are 2X6 or larger (My house is 2X10). One thing though, I would try to position the tank on an exterior wall. The floor joists tie in to the exterior wall and are strongest at that point, or at the point where they connect to an interior load bearing wall. If I couldnt have the tank on the exterior wall, or on a load bering wall, I would keep it downstairs.

Just my $.02

Loach23 deal! XD well calculate it in uk gallons as I live in the uk.XD

Back
Top Bottom