Upgrading to a 29 gal - cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RealMikeT

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm upgrading from a little 3 gallon table top tank to a 29 gallon tank. 2 nights ago I got the new tank set up using, in part, using the gravel from the old tank, as well as the water from the old tank. I set up the old filter on the new tank in addition to the new filter as well. There are just 2 bloodfin tetras and a catfish in the tank right now (as well as one small plant).

The upgrade was, in part, due to the old tank leaking. Turns out, now that I have moved the old filter over, it's actually leaking from the filter, not the tank, so I'd like to remove the old filter as soon as possible. I'm wondering if taking the filter cartridge out and placing it in the reserve for the new filter would be sufficient to continue cycling without killing off the fish in there now. I'd like to take the old filter off as soon as possible, due to the leak.

Thoughts?

It shouldn't kill your fish. The beneficial bacteria is in the filter, so moving the filter media is the best bet right now. It sounds to me like you have a good plan.

What kind of water did you use to fill the remaining 26 gallons with? By the way; a 29 gallon tank is an excellent size to begin with; that is what I started with.

Mike.

What kind of water did you use to fill the remaining 26 gallons with? By the way; a 29 gallon tank is an excellent size to begin with; that is what I started with.

Mike.

I used treated tap water.

29 seemed right for me. I don't really want to dedicate more space than that in my house, but it's big enough to be able to have some fun with it.

Enjoy your new tank

This is a great hobby; just one thing I forgot to mention; you will see that the bigger your tank is; the easier it is to maintain.

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom