URGENT Gourami in a bucket for a night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexSmargle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a dwarf powder blue gourami (literally like an hour ago) and when I opened the lid to turn the heater down (had it up for cycling) the lid did something weird, I'm not even sure what, it was so fast, and the side of the tank cracked. My only really accessible pet store closed early today and I don't have a spare but the tank is leaking.

The bucket is a ~4 gallon one that I use for water changes, it currently just has the gourami and quite a bit of water in it. I don't think the filter can go in and I'm not sure about the heater (especially considering it's round (the filter is a HOB) and plastic (not the super tough 5 gallon bucket type plastic either)). The soonest I can get a new tank is tomorrow morning, will ze be okay in the bucket for now, is there anything I can do to make hir more comfortable that doesn't involve going to a pet store (closed early, remember)? I didn't want to just keep hir in the tank until then because I'm worried about water pressure worsening the crack. He's my first fish and I like hir already and I don't want hir to die or get sick.

UPDATE: Thank you for your speedy reply, you made me feel a lot less panicked. Amazingly, the problem is now moot because my uncle has the best friends ever.

I panicked about it at my mom, who told my aunt, who told my uncle, who called his friend who owns the closest pet store to me and he told me to come on down and drove back into his store from home, got a new tank off the shelf for me and waited to let me in and let me buy it even though he closed a few hours ago officially.

So I have a new non-cracked tank that is filling as we speak.
(Though, as a side note, the temperature was what I was most worried about as I prefer to keep my house pretty cold and I was gone much of the day so it was warmer when I got home but not warm enough to keep several gallons of water at that high of a temp reliably.)

Back
Top Bottom