URGENT HELP! Catfish staying at the bottom...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepblue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I have a 120 litre fish tank for around a month now and have great selection of fish. I have 7 guppies and 4 different type mollies and 2 Albino Catfish.

One of my cat fish is staying at the bottom of the tank and hardly moves. It is not laying on its side but flat on the surface. The catfish seems unwell or maybe on the verge of death :(. I cannot see any tell tale signs of it being unwell. All i can see in that it has lost its pinkish colour and looking very pale white compared to the other catfish.

I have just checked the water and the test shows high No2, Gh, Kh and slightly high Ph level...... I have done regular water changes every other day around 10-15% and have been adding bacteria too.

Please I need some urgent help as i don't want to see it pass so early.......:(

thanks

High NO2 can cause nitrite poisoning, often showing up in weaker fish first. Your Ammonia and Nitrites need to be 0. It doesnt appear that you are overcrowded. I would immediately do a 50% water change, check the water and repeat as necessary until the Ammo and NO2 is 0.

What are you using to test the water?

Did you cycle the tank?

Your tank is probably in the midst of cycling. The nitrite phase can be very hard on fish. You'll need to do much larger and more frequent water changes daily than what you are doing and use a good dechlorinator like Prime. I'd stop adding the bottled bacteria product. How high is No2? Don't worry about Ph/GH/KH they aren't important now. As long as your PH is stable it's fine wherever it is. You also want to test ammonia and nitrate as well.....what are those readings?

I'd start with a 50% water change right now. Wait 30 minutes then test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. If ammonia and/or nitrite are still over .25 do another 50% water change to get it down.

There's a link in my signature called: new tank with fish. It'll guide you through the process.

High NO2 can cause nitrite poisoning, often showing up in weaker fish first. Your Ammonia and Nitrites need to be 0. It doesnt appear that you are overcrowded. I would immediately do a 50% water change, check the water and repeat as necessary until the Ammo and NO2 is 0.

What are you using to test the water?

Did you cycle the tank?

Thanks for your reply Jim

I did let the the tank cycle but may not of cycled the tank for long enough. A week before the fish went in and with the catfish it was 2 weeks before they went in.

The product I am using to test the water is JBL water test kit.

look forward.

Your tank is probably in the midst of cycling. The nitrite phase can be very hard on fish. You'll need to do much larger and more frequent water changes daily than what you are doing and use a good dechlorinator like Prime. I'd stop adding the bottled bacteria product. How high is No2? Don't worry about Ph/GH/KH they aren't important now. As long as your PH is stable it's fine wherever it is. You also want to test ammonia and nitrate as well.....what are those readings?

I'd start with a 50% water change right now. Wait 30 minutes then test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. If ammonia and/or nitrite are still over .25 do another 50% water change to get it down.

There's a link in my signature called: new tank with fish. It'll guide you through the process.

Thanks for your reply Libarygirl

Okay......my reading are as follow.

No3 - 0
No2 - 2 (states to be high)
GH - 21 d
KH - 20 d
PH - 7,6 (how do I stabilize the PH?)
CL - 0

I feel my PH is not that stable. I am trying to get it to PH 7.....

I will change my water everyday to control the nitrite levels....... I have ended up taking out all my ornament so I can observe the albino catfish....

which product would you advise to condition my water?
Also should i use any products to help to lower the PH level and the ammonia level?

Any more advise would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks once again.

Emran

Is it an albino cory?
They always stay at the bottom.

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that stay at the bottom as they are scavengers but this particular albino cory catfish is not moving or eating. It has lost its colour going from a pinkish white to a pure white, ghost like colour. Now for these Albino cat fish are to turn pink as they grow.

The other one is growing, eating and swimming well.

Hi, my replies below in blue...

Thanks for your reply Libarygirl

Okay......my reading are as follow.

No3 - 0
No2 - 2 (states to be high)
GH - 21 d
KH - 20 d
PH - 7,6 (how do I stabilize the PH?)
CL - 0

I feel my PH is not that stable. I am trying to get it to PH 7.....
Your PH is fine where it is. Why do you want to get it to 7? Fish adapt to your tank's PH as long as it's stable. Trying to lower it or raise it can cause a lot of problems for the fish.

I will change my water everyday to control the nitrite levels....... I have ended up taking out all my ornament so I can observe the albino catfish....
With Nitrite at 2 you'll need to do a few water changes today though. YOu want to get nitrite under .25. A 50% water change will cut it by half, so it would get down to 1, which is still too high. I'd say 3 water changes today of 50%. Nitrite spikes are very difficult b/c they tend to spike fast, but just doing as many water changes as needed to get and keep the level at .25 or below should help your fish immensely.

which product would you advise to condition my water?
Just Prime. Seachem Prime is great b/c it's more concentrated than other brands, so you'll use less. It also detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, between water changes (not to be used in place of water changes though, water changes are very important now).

Also should i use any products to help to lower the PH level and the ammonia level?
No, messing with PH is a bad idea. Your PH is great where it is. The only thing used to lower ammonia levels are water changes with Prime. What is your ammonia level, I didnt' see it listed above? It's as toxic as nitrite, so water changes to get and keep both below .25 is very important. Your fish is already showing signs of poisoning.

Any more advise would be gratefully appreciated.
Just test daily and keep up with water changes, even if you need to do more than 1 per day. Also I'm not familar with the test kit you're using; is it strips or liquid? If it's strips, they are very inaccurate. I'd highly suggest the API Master liquid test kit. There's a link in my signature called "new tank with fish" it'll explain cycling and guide you through the process (which is pretty much what I've said above).

thanks once again.
You're welcome. :)

Emran

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I understand that stay at the bottom as they are scavengers but this particular albino cory catfish is not moving or eating. It has lost its colour going from a pinkish white to a pure white, ghost like colour. Now for these Albino cat fish are to turn pink as they grow.

The other one is growing, eating and swimming well.
Huh , thats strange. Even at feeding time? He just lays there?

ALso letting a tank run for a week before adding fish isn't truly cycling, I'm afraid. Cycling means growing the beneficial bacteria to consume the toxins (ammonia) your fish put out through waste. You'll be testing the water and doing water changes daily for some weeks until the tank establishes itself. The link in my signature (new tank with fish) will guide you.

ALso letting a tank run for a week before adding fish isn't truly cycling, I'm afraid. Cycling means growing the beneficial bacteria to consume the toxins (ammonia) your fish put out through waste. You'll be testing the water and doing water changes daily for some weeks until the tank establishes itself. The link in my signature (new tank with fish) will guide you.

Hi
Really appreciate your input, your advise..:). I have already changed the water 3 times today and have tested the water again.....the No2 has dropped to 0.5 - 0.7.

I will continue to do the water change and testing on a daily basis and also will purchase the API freshwater liquid test. I have read through your guide line and i must say it is very helpful and will keep it as reference.

I was wondering with every water change I do will I have to add conditioner to the water to wipe out the chlorine and to stabilize the tap water?

I feel a little better as my Albino Cory Catfish is moving but very slowly......it has become very pale compared to the other catfish which is turning pink.......do you think I should let it be and let nature take its course in healing it or should I buy some medication......I think it may have fluke or some kind of parasite as when I read about the symptoms it has said everything which is affecting the ill catfish. What do you think?

Emran

Hi
Really appreciate your input, your advise..:). I have already changed the water 3 times today and have tested the water again.....the No2 has dropped to 0.5 - 0.7.

I will continue to do the water change and testing on a daily basis and also will purchase the API freshwater liquid test. I have read through your guide line and i must say it is very helpful and will keep it as reference.

I was wondering with every water change I do will I have to add conditioner to the water to wipe out the chlorine and to stabilize the tap water?

I feel a little better as my Albino Cory Catfish is moving but very slowly......it has become very pale compared to the other catfish which is turning pink.......do you think I should let it be and let nature take its course in healing it or should I buy some medication......I think it may have fluke or some kind of parasite as when I read about the symptoms it has said everything which is affecting the ill catfish. What do you think?

Emran
Librarygirl has definitely been leading you in the right direction!
Yes, you need to add the dechlorinator at every water change. That cycling guide is great. It is one of the easiest to understand that I have come across.
IMO, never treat for a parasite unless you know for sure what is. Since your nitrite was so high, that is the most likely cause, not a parasite IMO. Also, corys and other catfish can be pretty sensitive to those meds. Just like with people, meds can have side effects on fish too. Catfish canbe pretty iffy to treat. But, fish have immune systems like do we, so it is often best to just give them clean water and they can do they rest. I suggest you keep up with the water changes and see what happens. If anything changes with his condition, let us know. :)

^Agreed.

Yes add conditioner to the water before every water change. This is very important.

Nitrites and ammonia are very toxic to fish. At the levels they were in your tank the fish were no doubt affected. Some are affected more than others. With the water changes your fish should perk up as long as you follow the guide and keep ammonia and nitrite below .25 at all times. WIth nitrite at .5 or even a bit above another 50% water change wouldn't hurt for tonight. By tomorrow they may rise again, so test and do a water change as necessary. The nitrite phase is particularly dangerous b/c nitrites tend to spike quickly. If you can do another water change tonight and then get up earlier tomorrow morning and test again and be ready to do another if needed. Same with tomorrow evening. Hopefully this phase won't last too long for you; once nitrites hit 0 and stay there on their own without water changes you'll just have to do your weekly maintenance water change. For now though, testing often and water changes as needed (with dechlorinator :)).

+1 on everything absolut and library have been telling you. If you listen to them, they will get your tank on the right track :)

I hate to say it, but i think you added your fish too soon. I waited about a month for it to cycle and then i SLOWLY added fish.

Yes but he can save the tank. Fish-in cycles do work, they are just a lot of work for the person.

Yes but he can save the tank. Fish-in cycles do work, they are just a lot of work for the person.
Indeed. I did fish-in cycles for 4 of my 5 tanks and I never lost a fish doing it. It does take more work for the tank owner IMO, but it can be done without damaging the fish. :) The OP's tank should pull through in no time.

absolutangel04 said:
Indeed. I did fish-in cycles for 4 of my 5 tanks and I never lost a fish doing it. It does take more work for the tank owner IMO, but it can be done without damaging the fish. :) The OP's tank should pull through in no time.

I dont like doing fish in cycles. I would rather put in bacteria

Back
Top Bottom