URGENT!!! Help plz catastrophe struck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To much bleach?

Yes.

Well we figured out already he didn't soak it in dechlor water after, so I think that was the problem. I've never measured the bleach when I do my purigen personally, it's the dechlor step that's so important!

Agreed to a point. The amount of chlorine present was way higher than needed or prescribed so the amount of dechlor needed would be even higher. I hate to admit it, but I've forgotten to dechlor a tank during a water change and while they die, they don't die that quickly. For the amount of chlorine used, I would have soaked, resoaked, and let it air out to gas anything else off. Not that I would be using it in the first place....

Well petsmart said they won't match it so now I have to order it online

Ya drove 10 miles just to pick it up and then they go we don't match it when we called last night

Nitrate is fairly high and nitrite should be undetectable in a cycled tank. I'd do a large water change.

your tank is not cycled...

nitrates are high and nitrites are still there.

Your mother needs to realize its a waste of money not to have a kit and keep killing fish because of not knowing your water parameters. I am glad you got a kit now. Do right by your fish and do some more research on the cycle to know whats really going on. Sounds to me after reading this post you are trying to rush things and its getting you into some trouble.

your tank is not cycled...

nitrates are high and nitrites are still there.

Your mother needs to realize its a waste of money not to have a kit and keep killing fish because of not knowing your water parameters. I am glad you got a kit now. Do right by your fish and do some more research on the cycle to know whats really going on. Sounds to me after reading this post you are trying to rush things and its getting you into some trouble.

He isn't trying to rush anything. He made a mistake (as we all do from time to time) and it caused the tank to mini-cycle. It had been established with fish before the mistake. Stuff happens. ;)

He isn't trying to rush anything. He made a mistake (as we all do from time to time) and it caused the tank to mini-cycle. It had been established with fish before the mistake. Stuff happens. ;)

Ya I made a mistake with the purigen so my tank had to re establish itself. And I'm not rushing anything I had to get the fish back Im there instead of all them in a 10 gallon. I will do a 30-40 percent water change tomorrow

I'd do 50-75% unless your tap water parameters are significantly different than your tank's.

See what pH is compared to your tank. Let a cup of tap water sit out overnight and then test it again.

I do 50% minimum on most of my tanks... not all of them though.

See what pH is compared to your tank. Let a cup of tap water sit out overnight and then test it again.

I do 50% minimum on most of my tanks... not all of them though.

Ok yea that sounds good then I'll do a 50% change

I have to ask again.... why are you using Purigen? It is not necessary in a cycled tank and can stall the cycling process if it starves the BB of the level of ammonia required by the bioload. It is a great product when used correctly, but correct use is usually as a band aid. I agree, the tank is not cycled.

You can check your municipal water report as well.. I google the reefers in my area, they're allllll over this stuff!

I don't think purigen eats ammonia. It isn't zeolite.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom