Use of Reverse Osmosis water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cizkaro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have the constant problem of high nitrates because of very very bad tap water high in nitrates more then 40ppm. The tap water here isn't safe to drink obviously. I have been cutting my tap water with 50 percent reverse osmosis water but my nitrates even in the water going in are high. I would be willing to use 100% reverse osmosis water if someone could just give me a straight answer on what I need to buy to treat it to make it safe for my fish since ro has no minerals. What do I add to treat straight ro water for use? I have aquarium salt but I until now have only used it to clean decorations of algae and clean my water change tools. I don't even know of you can use that to treat ro water. I've attached a picture of the ro water I use. My fish seems to be used to the high levels but I'd rather get it down. And plants are way to costly and the ones I have seem to not help anyways. Can anyone help? What do I buy to treat ro water for use?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394637721.463788.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394637735.154697.jpg

Then I suggest you use pure RODI water, and remineralize it with Seachem Equilibrum before put it in the tank.

You add the amount of remineralizer you want, according to the final KH you want to reach.

NEVER add RODI or Distillated water directly to the tank, it may kill your fishs. Must be remineralized first.

I see on your bottle that it's remineralized already, what is the KH of this mixture ?

What are your fishs ?

Then I suggest you use pure RODI water, and remineralize it with Seachem Equilibrum before put it in the tank.

You add the amount of remineralizer you want, according to the final KH you want to reach.

NEVER add RODI or Distillated water directly to the tank, it may kill your fishs. Must be remineralized first.

I see on your bottle that it's remineralized already, what is the KH of this mixture ?

What are your fishs ?

My fish are zebra danios and neon tetras. I currently have no way to measure the alkalinity of the water I am using. And the test kits for it are super costly. But i noticed this water has calcium magnesium and potassium added back to it already. The same things equilibrium adds so perhaps this is safe to use straight up?

What is important is the levels of carbonates. Calcium, mg and others are for the GH.

The KH is the thing that buff the PH, it's very important. Buy a cheap API KH test, it cost around 10$. If this water contains no (bi)carbonate(s), you'll kill your fishs.

You can remineralize the water for KH only with baking soda. it cost around 2$ and will last more than a year. But you must know the values for appropriate dosing. If one day you fill the tank with water at 6 dKH, and another day you fill it with 0-1 dKH°, the PH swing will be huge and may kill some fishs/shrimps.

Also water with low KH (0-2) tend to have PH swings. Bad for stability.

My tap water is 2 dKH° and I keep my tetra neons at 3-4dKH° for avoiding PH swings due to CO2 injection.

I will probably move to using Equilibrium and getting a undersink RO filter for my home. Thank you again for all of your help mrvincent! ^.^

I bought a RODI unit for my Saltwater tank, that's a great purchase !

Don't only take this as source of water for you, except if you remineralize with Seachem Equilibrum ^.^

What are your fishs ?

Sorry mrvincent, but this sint really helpful advice. rodi water won't kill your fish. I have been using rodi for discus at work for many months now and they have been much happier than when we were using our regular lake water which is very hard and alkaline. We do not remineralise. IMO you only need to remineralise to raise the pH to that referred by your chosen fish. A good diet should give all the minerals and trace elements the fish need.

Sorry mrvincent, but this sint really helpful advice. rodi water won't kill your fish. I have been using rodi for discus at work for many months now and they have been much happier than when we were using our regular lake water which is very hard and alkaline. We do not remineralise. IMO you only need to remineralise to raise the pH to that referred by your chosen fish. A good diet should give all the minerals and trace elements the fish need.

Your tank KH is zero :eek: ?

Back
Top Bottom