Used aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason6942

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should you not buy a used aquarium or is it ok. Im thinking of looking for a used aquarium to save money but don't want it ending up costing more in the long run

Most of my tanks are secondhand. You have to make sure to inspect the tank before you buy it. Look for deep scratches, cracks and chips in the glass, especially the corners. Silicone coming loose and bubbles in the silicone seal between the glass pieces needs to be avoided. If you get a tank with dodgy silicone you can reseal it but it can be a lot of work.

Oh and it's usually a good idea to avoid tanks used for reptiles. Their waste can soak into the silicone weakening it.

I just nabbed a 20g long for $10 a few days ago. Cleaned it up and let it dry for a couple of days then filled it up for a few days to test water fastness. Everything is great. Can't wait to get it running!

Used is fine, just make sure it holds water. When you get it, scrub it, rinse it and let it air dry.

The problem with a used tank is you don't know its history

Unless its a very big tank 6x2 or bigger I don't think its worth taking the risk to save money

Smaller tanks are fairly cheap

hello Jas...

You really take a chance with used tanks. I've had good luck about half the time. Petco and the other chains have specials all the time and these are much better tanks for the money.

I'd avoid the used stuff unless you know the source.

B

Depends on the package deal. For just the tank, you won't save much from $1-a-gallon new tank. But lights/heater/stand/filter/substrate/decorations could make a deal.

Like mumma said, make sure it was used for fish. Larger tanks for reptiles may have thinner glass.

I have three used tanks - one from my lfs, one from a member of this forum, and one from craigslist. All are in great condition and all but the one from my lfs were really good deals. I payed more for the 30 gallon from the lfs than I did gor the 56 I found on craigslist. I will soon be picking up a tank I got for $35 at a thrift store, but as I haven't seen it in person yet I can't speak on its quality yet. As said, look closely at any extras. That's what can really make a good deal. And check for damage or leaks.

I have had others picked up from craigslist of found for free..a good cleaning and a close look at the seals can keep a lot of issues from happening.

Back
Top Bottom