Used Hex Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

risen25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I purchased a used Hex Aquarium hoping to start a salt water tank. I have read after the fact that a Hex is not the best to use for a Hex tank, but I really like their shape and hope to make it work. I am a little worried about a couple of things. I was cleaning it earlier today using a weak bleach mixture but have been unable to clean what looks to be algae that is extremely old and hasn't been taken care of in ages. Its only in the creases where the molding to seal the glass is. I'm not sure how much of a big deal it is, but I have a gotten a LOT of it off.

The elderly lady I purchased it from had no idea how many gallons it is and I can only guess to say its around 30-40. It took me about 5 minutes to fill it up with a hose to stress it and check for leaks.

^I am nervous about that. It partially came off with cleaning. I am beginning to think I should just go out and buy a new tank, but I am trying to save money :banghead:

Did I just dig myself a hole and go backwards or should I be ok if this thing does not leak? I appreciate any help I can get. I just want a piece of the ocean in my living room! :)

You can try resealing that area. Also vinegar may get the green out of the silicone. Maybe full it back up and let it sit for a few days to a week to test for leaks? Good Luck!!

definitely re seal it. you can get a tube of silicone for 10-15 dollars and there are tons of youtube vids on resealing

If you decide to use you should consider getting out the razor blades and scrape off the old silicone and reseal it , I wouldn't trust it.

A tube or two of silicone and some razor blades would be cheap insurance.

Thank you everyone! I went out today and bought the stuff needed to reseal the tank. This is going to be a lengthy adventure before I am even able to stick my first fish in the tank, but I am in it for the long haul. I want to do it right the first time. (y)

My approach will be a little bit slower than some with buying just the things necessary to start the cycling of the tank by the end of the month and work my way from there. After doing some research about FOWLR tanks, I am under the impression that all I need for biological filtration is the protien skimmer and a couple power heads/circulation pumps and the LR will do all of the work. Starting with that and live sand, salt, etc begin to cycle the tank and keep testing the water and testing until I am 100% good to go. I will keep reading all of the stickies and doing more research before I make any moves. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom