"Used" Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of possibly moving everyone who lives in my 10 gallon and the filter from it into a 20 gallon long...I have had this 5 gallon bucket of "used", dry aquarium sand in my basement for a few years. I have only used gravel so far but would like to try this sand since it looks nicer to me in a way and probably will be friendlier to my frogs when they nose dive back down from the surface...

Is it possible there could be diseases in this sand? Does it need to be washed or prepared in any way to use it with my currently healthy fish and frog? Thanks.

If it's totally dry for years can't see much nasties living in there.. overly cautious would be baking it on a cookie sheet than rinsing.. I'd personally just rinse it well and use it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would rinse it. IMHO it should be fine. But I'm also a klutz, so an image of me baking it makes me think of me dropping hot sand on myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Rinse it good and if you have a cat check for lumps:lol:. Should be fine. And Brookster likes to boil and bake aquarium stuff (cough cough). LOL

Thanks guys...now what type of colender can you use to rinse sand that it wont fall through?

Just run water into a bucket and stir with your hand. Anything that floats will spill over the top. Do this until the water runs clear.

I don't use a colander. I put some in a 5g bucket and use a hose. Then I stick my hand in and rotate the sand around and as soon as the sand settles I pour off any detritus or loose stuff floating in the water without pouring sand out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

you can call me chef boilerdeee!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom