Using a Python in Multiple tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchpea2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just ordered a Python for my mom and she was wondering about the possibility of "cross contamination" between tanks in using it on multiple tanks and I was wondering if any of you guys can give some input on the topic. She's upgrading tanks, and will be getting new fish, so I don't want to take the chance of them having something and spreading it to all the tanks. We have a separate gravel vac for each tank, and then dirty and clean buckets for now, but the dirty water would travel through the same hose if you are using it for multiple tanks... Has this been a problem for anyone before?

I was wondering the same thing. I'd hate to have to buy another Python!

But it seems like contamination would be very possible. I was thinking of getting some Discus and/or German Blue Rams which are supposed to be "touchy". So I'm fairly concerned about the possibility.

Thanks for asking the question. Hopefully someone more experienced than I will weigh in.

Nothing to worry about cross contamination. What is the first thing you do with the Python? You remove water. That will clear out the python of contaminants before you need to refill the tank. Nothing to worry about.

I use one python between all 11 of my tanks. I have discus as well. Just let the python run clean between tanks. If you have any illness in your tanks do that tank last and run hot hot water through the python after.

Although remote, the possibility of cross contiminating does exist with anything that goes untreated from one tank to another. Most people with multiple tanks do all of their draining first, and then all of their filling. All it takes is one drop of water to contiminate. I've even seen airborne cross contimination from one discus tank to the next. I don't think the risk exists so much with parasitic infections, but it does with bacterial, viral and fungal.

Still, I'm using one python for all of my tanks.

If you can spread contagion with nets, you could spread it with a python. ONe possible solution is to QT new fish, and not use the python on the QT?

Tom is right...if contamination is that much of an issue to you, keep a QT tank, and never use the python on it, or any tank that shows signs of illness.

most aquariums already have all the bugs and bacteria present in them to begin with. its when the fish become stressed enough that they can't fight it off that you see its effects.

If you want to err on the side of caution regarding the python, do what I do (once a month). I run hot water through the python (like filling up a tank only it goes into the waste basket). This serves two purposes...it removes most of the accumulated detris that has attached itself to the hose and gives it a nice fresh smell.

In regard to contaminates, if you don't have anything wrong in any of the tanks, using the python won't "creat" a problem on it's own.

thanks for the input, now I can benefit from my mom's purchase as well! I'm so excited, we spent about $225 on the python, various ferts, some misc stuff, and a CO2 system for her new 54 corner tank!

lol I guess it's to early for me cuz when I read that I swallowed hard thinkin 225 for a python. (until i read on, that is)

Anyway.........is the corner tank set up yet? I've got a corner tank and I'm always interested in seeing what everyone does with that footprint.

we got the corner because it takes up less space per gallon, so we could get a bigger that way. We went with an All Glass 54g Corner bowfront, and once we get a canopy for it, it'll look stunning! My dad made the stand, so it also has a unique design, which I made. I'll post pics as soon as we take some. We have it all set up, lightly-moderately planted (hoping it will grow in quickly, especially after the CO2 comes) and we have our first fish floating now, sliver-tipped tetras, that are getting upgraded from my 29g tank.

Back
Top Bottom