using caffeine or other drugs to kill diseases in tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah but the daphnia are very very small.

anyways i wont try caffeine in my tank.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

I'm not sure what you want to do, even at double dose it does not kill the water flea, it just increases its heart rate for a short time. I'm not sure if there is a lethal dose for caff., but its probably really high if there is one. I've never seen anything that indicates there is, at least not at any resonable dose.

Tony Starks said:
I'm not sure what you want to do, even at double dose it does not kill the water flea, it just increases its heart rate for a short time. I'm not sure if there is a lethal dose for caff., but its probably really high if there is one. I've never seen anything that indicates there is, at least not at any resonable dose.

There is a lethal dose, and it is not as high as you might think.....in humans (of course there are various factors that will affect this number a few mg either way), it is about 192 mg/kg.

Toirtis said:
Tony Starks said:

There is a lethal dose, and it is not as high as you might think.....in humans (of course there are various factors that will affect this number a few mg either way), it is about 192 mg/kg.

Not as high as I might think?!? Thats almost a thousand sodas!

Thats still at lot. A soda has about 35mg of caffeine to give you a perspective.

A lot higher than I would have expected myself....it took a lot less to land me in the hospital with caffeine poisoning when I was in Uni....I weighed about 75 kg then, and it took only about 4300 mg over an 8 hour period....so perhaps 14,500 mg would have killed me, but a mere third of that made me pretty damned miserable for a whole night. :lol:

4300 mg in 8 hours!!! 8O
I used to drink Jolt and strong, bitter, nasty coffee in college, but I doubt my caffeine intake ever exceeded 500 mg in the same time period.

National Geographic had an article about caffeine a few months ago. Some kid in Ireland killed himself by taking an overdose of caffeine it was an ugly death. Some countries in the EU are actually considering banning enery drinks.

QTOFFER said:
4300 mg in 8 hours!!! 8O
I used to drink Jolt and strong, bitter, nasty coffee in college, but I doubt my caffeine intake ever exceeded 500 mg in the same time period.

Try chasing an excess of caffeine pills with jolt and coffee for 8 hours straight. As it is, nowadays, I typically drink about 4.5+ litres (or 18-20 cups) of coffee daily, so about 700-800 mg of caffiene per day from coffee alone (not counting tea, mate, and any cola consumed in that same period).

rich311k said:
National Geographic had an article about caffeine a few months ago. Some kid in Ireland killed himself by taking an overdose of caffeine it was an ugly death.

That would be exceedingly difficult....a typical cola or coffee contains about 35-40mg of caffeine, and assuming the kid (I am going to guess a 15 year-old teen male) weighed about 60kg (and assuming the LD50 of 192mg/kg)...that would have taken almost 12,000 mg of caffeine, so the equivalent of 300 cups of coffee (or likely a good 100-125 energy drinks)....or 120 caffeine tablets (which is what one assumes he used, unless he had access to lab-grade caffeine sulphate). A lot of work for what must have been a really ugly death. 8O

One of my friends boyfriends did that in High School. He took some caffeine pill and was popping them like crazy. He ended up collapsing on the football field during a game and technically died once on the field and twice on the way to the ER. I can't remember what they were called. But after an investigation the school found out that nearly all football and volleyball players were popping them.

"Wake-Up" tablets. I am surprised that anyone got to a 'collapsing' stage....the first and most prevalent symptom of too much caffiene is a severe, constant, sharp stabbing pain in one's abdomen. I would not be surprised if it turned out that the football players were actually taking a combination caffiene/ephedra pill....something that can be very dangerous, even in smallish too-high doses.

Try chasing an excess of caffeine pills with jolt and coffee for 8 hours straight. As it is, nowadays, I typically drink about 4.5+ litres (or 18-20 cups) of coffee daily, so about 700-800 mg of caffiene per day from coffee alone (not counting tea, mate, and any cola consumed in that same period).
8O 8O 8O
Please tell me you were studying!

Toirtos- I forgot what the name of the pills were called. It is two words and the first and second word are the same. I just cant remember what it is. It's been 7 years ago since this happened.

severum mama said:
8O 8O 8O
Please tell me you were studying!

Yes, and trying to cram in too much in too little time....might as well have just not taken the caffiene anyways, as the 6-8 hours in the hospital cost me more time than I saved by not sleeping.

Re: using caffeine or other drugs to kill diseases in tank!!

amitnarain said:
check that:
http://www.coe.ufl.edu/webtech/Daphnia/

is it possible to add some caffeine in the tank with fish to kill disease? e.g. ich, without hurting the fish?!!!

btw what effect could caffeine have on fish? could they die?

Some people have actually used small doses of instant coffee to spawn some species of fish, I'm not sure on the dosage though. I wouldn't be inclined to try it myself.

Back
Top Bottom