Using "Cycle"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, I'm using Cycle with no apparent success on a new old tank. I've dumped in the initial recommended amount two nights in a row because I'm getting no readings at all for ammonia or nitrite in the tank. I even threw in some fish food to decompose. I do get ammonia readings when I test the Cycle product.

Is this common? Should I just by ammonia?

Cycle doesn't make amonia its just bacteria. You need amonia to be present before bacteria can break it down. Ive discovered thru searching on this board cycle really doesnt do what its suposed to and the only real workin bacteria is bio-spira but its difficult to find.

Do you have fish in this tank?

Hiya Scotts and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

Coupla things:

A quick backround on the nitrogen cycle: Fish produce nitrogenous waste (ammonia). Ammonia is deadly to em. A certain type of bacteria which is in the air and on surfaces that eats ammonia will start to colonise the tank once there is an ammonia supply. It converts ammonia to nitrites (also deadly to fish). Another bacteria starts to colonise the tank that eats nitrites and converts it to nitrates (not deadly to fish unless its at high levels). Without an ammonia supply there is nothing to kick off a cycle as the bacteria have nothing to eat. It sounds like there is no ammonia supply (the food would not have rotted enough in 2 days).

Cycle is a waste of time IMHO. New and Improved or the old stuff. Neither contains the proper bacteria. The only product which does is Bio-Spira. I also tested Cycle when I first tried a fishless cycle thinking I'd use it. The day after I put it in, I was getting nitrate readings which would normally be impossible unless the tank was cycled (it wasn't). I also tested Cycle and stopped at 3 mins after the reading was over 80ppm nitrates.

If you are fishless cycling, I suggest reading this article: http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.html

However, if you can get a hold of Bio-Spira, you can start the tank right off. Just add the fish AND the Bio-Spira.

Once again, Allivymar is dead on. Cycle claims to contain bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle, but if we think about this claim logically, we know that these bacteria are heavily reliant on a constant oxygen supply and nutrients in the form of ammonia for survival. Neither of these requirements does it get sitting in a plastic bottle on the shelf of the LFS for six months. Bio-Spira also claims to be the next "instant cycle in a bottle", but all things considered, the jury is still out and there has been no significant laboratory testing on this product outside of the laboratory of its manufacturer. Guess what the manufacturer claims ? LOL. :wink:

"At the moment" (I emphasize that, because in the absence of any published evidence by a nonbiased, objective research organization that Bio-Spira is the miracle product it claims to be, I remain skeptical) fishless cycling is still the way to go, using ordinary plain household ammonia.

There are two other very good resources I would like to direct your attention to that will give easy-to-understand directions for a fishless cycle that any beginner (and experienced fishkeeper as well) can understand.

The first one was written by my dear friend WetmanNY, the Skeptical Aquarist. You can find it at : www.skepticalaquarist.com . Click on "starting over" and then "fishless cycle".

The other was written by another good friend Loachaholic, in beginner's terminology and with tried-and-true experience behind it.

http://www.tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=729

Hope this helps !

Thanks for the fast replies. I went ahead and ran out to buy ammonia after posting.

And yes, the tank is still fishless. Though a couple lost days thanks to the "Cycle" is trying my patience. I dragged my aquarium out of retirement after many years and now I'm anxious to get the fish back in!

It is very commendable that you are paying very close attention to your water conditions, they will serve you well. However in my opinion an aquarium is not a tank of water with a chemistry kit beside it. That is not fun.

Why don’t you throw in 2 or 3 small fishes that you want to have in your final aquarium now and let them cycle the tank? They will not die or be stressed if you keep a close eye on the water conditions for the first few weeks and maintain regular water changes. Also you really should add fishes to the tank slowly; so even if you cycle your tank you will only be able to add a few fishes then, why wait.

I always think that a product is only as good as it's recommendations, i cant comment on Bio-Spira as we don't have it in the UK. But going by what i have read on this forum it sounds like a very good product.
Being that there are so many people that use this forum on a daily bases, it is a great place to get advice on any sort of product. But no matter what people say it is you that has to try these things, a product may work for one person and not work for you. but unless you try you will never know.
Some people say that you should use fish to cycle your tank and some say to do a fishless cycle, it can get confusing and half the time you don't know if your coming or going. All i will say is that they both work, but it is up to you what way you go.

Be patient and read as much as you can, Allivymar and cindywindy and the other guys and girls have given you some great places to look at for you to make up your own mind.

Good luck and enjoy.

Just to add a little more info on cycling choices and Bio-Spira as well:

I've done all 3 ways; with fish, fishless and with Bio-Spira. IMHO Bio-Spira is the best choice. While I haven't seen any formal studies other than Marineland's, they have been published. However, I based my choice to try it on a thread at fishgeeks.com, where a bunch of different folks from all over gave it a go, and the response and results were overwhelmingly positive. In my experience, it has been quite successful, although I know some others have had some probs. That being said, it has at least partially cycled those tanks if not fully cycled it. Hence my recommendation.

If Bio-Spira isn't a choice, then I would fishless cycle. Its a personal choice; I cycled my first tank with 2 angelfish not knowing a thing about the cycle. They survived my ignorance and I have one of them almost 2 yrs later, but I wouldn't put a fish thru it again knowing what I now know. Plus, I tend to chose fish who do not do well cycling a tank, and I am not one to return a fish after I have bought it as I feel a responsibility for it.

But as Terry said, you, and really all of us, are here to get more info so we can make our own minds :) I share whats worked for me, but I cannot guarantee it'll work for anyone else...shame really...if I could I'd be rich ;)

If you get impatient waiting to add fish, or your fishless cycle isn't working for some reason, I would highly recommend the bio spira. I have used it 3 times with amazing success. My last experience was when I screwed up my 100 gal. tank so bad, my whole house smelled like a sewer! I had to move my fish temporarily to a 55 gal. tank, drain and refill the 100 gal. I let it run without fish until my bio spira arrived. I added the bio spira according to the directions, and immediately added my 7 inch oscar, my 6 inch oscar, my 7 inch jack dempsey, my 4 inch jack dempsey, and my 7 inch pleco, one after another. That was 4 weeks ago, and my tank and fish are beautiful! It is hard to find though. I order mine at www.fishstoretn.com, and highly recommend Bernie's services. The only problem I have read about with the bio spira, is that if you get it locally and it hasn't been refrigerated properly, or if your mail shipment is delayed enough that you receive it warm, the bacteria might be all dead. If that happens after ordering online from the site above, you will be taken care of properly and a satisfied customer!

I used bio-spira in a fry tank I recently set up. I'm adding water from a mature tank to feed the fry, so there's some mulm getting in there. It took care of the ammonia without a hitch, but I am battling a nitrite spike, even after adding more bio-spira after the spike occurred.

Nevertheless, I'm pleased with the results. If all it does is take care of the ammonia spike, that's nothing to shake a stick at. And since I'm not doing a traditional cycle, and not using filtration (the fry can't handle the current yet) I expected a few bumps.

I tried using "Cycle" with my first tank, and wasn't at all pleased with the results. Wait a sec, there were no results to pleased with! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom