Using magnum w/micron cart to cure ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone use a diatom filter or magnum with a micron cartridge to cure a ich outbreak?

I've been researching a bit and it seems in it's smallest stage ich is 30 microns. The magnum micron filter is supposed to filter 1 micron particles. So in theory this should work, correct?

Have hear it used before yes, though it won't get the infestation off your fish or anywhere you may have a dead flow area. I use a diatom filter on occasion just to polish up my water

Heard that also ... however, ich drops off the fish & hides in the gravel, so that cannot be removed by the filter. Then when the tomites comes out, you have to get them with the filter before it gets on a fish. IMO it might work but is not efficient.

I don't see how this can possibly eradicate the parasite. The free-swimming (theront) stage is quite short. They usually hatch in the early monrning hours (2am) when the fish are sleeping near the bottom. In the confines of an aquarium they will most likely infect a fish before the filter can get them. It might help lessen the infestion for a period of time, but that's about all. Hyposality or copper in a QT tank while leaving the main tank fallow of fish is required to eradicate the parasite.

Back
Top Bottom