Using playsand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wanting to know what would be a good mixture for a DSB, as in what brand of playsand and live sand to use to create a nise layer of sand. What is the mixture of playsand to LS (50/50 exe) for a 55gal?
Also what must be done to playsand to prepare it for the aquarium if anything? Thanks...

You need to define what you mean by LS. Are you talking about the plastic bags at the LFS that have a long shelf live and are supposed to be full of bacteria or are you talking about LS coming from an established aquarium that is full of fauna?

Most of your DSB (90%??) should be caribbean play sand. It doesn't take that much live sand to seed the DSB. In time the fauna will will reproduce.

The playsand should just be added from the bag. Is your tank set up yet? filled?
Do a search on DSB and read up.

How deep of a DSB are you planning?
Will this be FO, FOWLR or a reef tank?
What livestock are you planning on adding?

Sorry about the lack of info.
You need to define what you mean by LS. Are you talking about the plastic bags at the LFS that have a long shelf live and are supposed to be full of bacteria or are you talking about LS coming from an established aquarium that is full of fauna?
Probably use mail order LS but I dont know if it arrives wet or dry.
Is your tank set up yet? filled?
No not yet just trying to get all the info on setting it up.
How deep of a DSB are you planning?
Not for sure I dont know what a good depth would be for a 55gal

Will this be FO, FOWLR or a reef tank?
I am planning a FOWLR, about 100+ lbs of LR.
What livestock are you planning on adding?
still figuring out what will be compatible. Probably 3 or 4 small fish and a couple of shrimp and whatever grows on the LR.

Great info, thanks. Now here's my two cents worth :lol:

First let me welcome you to AA and commend you for reading up before actually setting up your tank! Keep asking questions, the people here are friendly and knowledgable.

Probably use mail order LS but I dont know if it arrives wet or dry.
If you mean the LS that's sold by the pound and must be shipped overnight or two-day air, it will arrive wet and hopefully be full of critters. This is what you want.

Not for sure I dont know what a good depth would be for a 55gal
A DSB is defined as 4" - 6" sand depth of sugar sized particles. A great article on DSB's can be found here.

Put together a list of fish you would like to have and post it as a new topic. You are sure to get lots of advice. Everyone has their favorites. several of the online retailers have compatibility charts, but after checking those you should also post here for comments from people who might have or have tried that combination of livestock.

Good luck with your set up. Take your time, go slow and and listen to the advice of the more experienced folks here and you should have few problems.

Back
Top Bottom