Using Rocks From Backyard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattandmyoscars

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a garden and around the garden are nice stones to stack and make caves and give my tank a beautiful look can I use them? I was going to scrub the surface dirt off let them soak then boil them! Would that be an appropriate way to go about this?

Don't boil, they might explode. Maybe use the hottest setting in the tub, and just rinse it for a while. Also freezing works too. Best to scrub it [emoji106]. Pour a small amount of vinegar on it. If it fizzes, don't use it! :)

Don't boil, they might explode. Maybe use the hottest setting in the tub, and just rinse it for a while. Also freezing works too. Best to scrub it [emoji106]. Pour a small amount of vinegar on it. If it fizzes, don't use it! :)

They explode?!? Wow ok thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it man!

Save the energy and scrub them and soak in a bleach and water bath for a while. rinse and use. Rocks from a yard won't have any aquatic pathogens but bleach will help burn off anything else that may be on it.

I'll echo what other's have said - I'd rinse and scrub (no soap), vinegar test, soak in bleach water, rinse , then let COMPLETELY air dry - the bleach is inert once it evaporates. To be doubly sure, I dunk my decorations in a bucket of water treated with a dechlorinator just prior to adding them to a tank, in case anything gets left.

Probably overly complicated, but it gives me peace of mind :D

Back
Top Bottom