Uv sterilisers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
HI guys and girls. I was thinking about asking santa for a UV steriliser for my 300l tank. What are the advantages of these and are they really worth the money. Can one do without one. (Managed so far)

They are really only useful in a few situations and aren't good to run full time on a tank. I would say skip it and ask for some upgraded aquarium equipment instead.

i would say yea get it.. its gonna be standard equipement in tanks in the near future. i run one 24/7 and havent had an outbreak of disease in 2 years and i keep sensitive fish and sometimes skimp on water changes. my water is like crystal .

theres arguments over the need for a uv in a planted tank as you will see if you google it , but all i know is that ever since i got one my tank is better . it must be set up correctly though . also why not get all the bells and whistles for your hobby no ?

i would say yea get it.. its gonna be standard equipement in tanks in the near future. i run one 24/7 and havent had an outbreak of disease in 2 years and i keep sensitive fish and sometimes skimp on water changes. my water is like crystal .

theres arguments over the need for a uv in a planted tank as you will see if you google it , but all i know is that ever since i got one my tank is better . it must be set up correctly though . also why not get all the bells and whistles for your hobby no ?

Correlation does not equal causation. Just because there hasn't been any issues doesn't mean that the sterilizer is to blame. Sterilizers also don't clarify water except for green water and bacterial blooms.

HI guys and girls. I was thinking about asking santa for a UV steriliser for my 300l tank. What are the advantages of these and are they really worth the money. Can one do without one. (Managed so far)

I've got one running and it seems to make the water a tad clearer. Doesn't help in fungal infections. A good quality one makes a difference - will see if I can find the link on pros and cons. It would be way down the order on my wish list but I have not heard of any bad issues from using one.

Back
Top Bottom