Vacuuming sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought freshwater sand from pet smart. The sand is really fine and light. Since it is so light whenever i vacuum it sucks the sand up, but the fish waste and other debris are to heavy to get sucked up. I use a vacuum that attaches to the sink to create suction from the running water. What is the best way to remove waste and vacuum the sand. Is the sand I got to light?

I bought freshwater sand from pet smart. The sand is really fine and light. Since it is so light whenever i vacuum it sucks the sand up, but the fish waste and other debris are to heavy to get sucked up. I use a vacuum that attaches to the sink to create suction from the running water. What is the best way to remove waste and vacuum the sand. Is the sand I got to light?

We avoided that for that reason. We got pool filter sand and it works great. Too coarse and heavy to be sucked up. I'd definitely recommend going with that if you're up for a substrate change.

Welcome to AA!

I actually get better suction using a small gravel vac instead of my python. I swirl the vacuum around in the water above the sand to stir up the waste, then I vacuum it out of the water column.

Thanks, how much does pool filter sand usually cost? I hate to get rid of sand I bought since I spent $50 on it and it does look nice, just to light. Maybe I can put a top layer of pool filter sand?

I got 2, 50 lbs bags for like a grand total of $20! Much cheaper than a pet store!!! Sane goes with buying gravel for your aquarium at a landscape place rather than a lfs

No python here and sand in all my tanks. Like BigJim said try a small gravel vac or even just the tube that attaches too the vac. I use that around the driftwood in my tanks allows me to get closer and I usually try and stir it a little before I start to clean the area. Ive had playsand and after a little time it will settle out and it shouldnt be so bad for you.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

Thanks, how much does pool filter sand usually cost? I hate to get rid of sand I bought since I spent $50 on it and it does look nice, just to light. Maybe I can put a top layer of pool filter sand?

Like another person before me said, it's cheap. We paid 12 dollars or so for a 50 pound bag.

Thanks, how much does pool filter sand usually cost?

It is $7.99 for 50lbs around my area. I got it for free since the bag was ripped. :) BTW, if you want smaller grained sand, which I know you don't, they have it at Home Depot for $4/50lbs. Quickrete's Premium Playsand is the name of it.

Back
Top Bottom