Vampire Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Emi929 said:
How do they climb to the top? To get air I mean. Will a floating plant support them?

They climb on plants. Please refer to my pictures believe its on page four. Floating plants could be used but try to tie (with fishing line) a foam raft/island like I did.
I do have a air bubbler in water. I've seen them collect air from that too.

Cool! I understand the floating plant/raft thing now ;)

Do you know if they multiply like mad? What about sexing them? Can you tell?

Emi929 said:
Cool! I understand the floating plant/raft thing now ;)

Do you know if they multiply like mad? What about sexing them? Can you tell?

I've read that they LOVE to mate. And when they do It's from 50 to 60 whole crabs (and yea in freshwater no saltwater migrating).
To tell if you have female look at bottom of crab near the butt and underneath should be two circles side by side. Those are the O (kid safe).

I was totally shocked today to find the awesome RED variety for sale at my LFS! :D Needless to say, I paid for a pair and they'll be waiting for me until I finish up my paludarium! Only 30$ too! MUST. FINISH. TANK.

LemurLad said:
I was totally shocked today to find the awesome RED variety for sale at my LFS! :D Needless to say, I paid for a pair and they'll be waiting for me until I finish up my paludarium! Only 30$ too! MUST. FINISH. TANK.

Very nice!

You guys are making me jealous. I've been looking for vampire crabs for ages. My LFS doesn't carry them :( Also, if anyone wants to make a site on vampire crab care, let me know. I've started one on fiddler crabs(it's under construction still) and was planning to expand it to other crabs as well. Here's the temporary link if anyone is interested: The Finicky Fiddler | Fiddler crab care made easy It's surprising how little information there is on these creatures.

BTW, any chance someone could ship me some vamps? :)

--Adeeb

If everything goes well with my pair of reds (and I may possibly get another pair) and they start breeding, I may start providing them. :)

adeebm said:
You guys are making me jealous. I've been looking for vampire crabs for ages. My LFS doesn't carry them :( Also, if anyone wants to make a site on vampire crab care, let me know. I've started one on fiddler crabs(it's under construction still) and was planning to expand it to other crabs as well. Here's the temporary link if anyone is interested: The Finicky Fiddler | Fiddler crab care made easy It's surprising how little information there is on these creatures.

BTW, any chance someone could ship me some vamps? :)

--Adeeb

I'll check my store today. If they have v.c.'s I'll get there contact information for you. Maybe the farmer can ship.
Website eh? Why is it still under construction?

Why is it still under construction?

Because I'm not done yet :p I'm trying to find scientific research to back my information. Also trying to figure out ways to improve my fiddler's habitat. For instance, it seems that they have a strong biological clock, and their actions in the wild are very dependent on tide. So I''m going to try and create a tide simulation.

--Adeeb

Wow, these guys look awesome. This make me want some really bad, ill have to keep an eye out for them.
So how many can you have in a 10g? Just 2?

JettMillenia said:
Wow, these guys look awesome. This make me want some really bad, ill have to keep an eye out for them.
So how many can you have in a 10g? Just 2?

Kind of depends on what fish you have. I have one bottom feeder. Works good with the two crabs. Also less stress on them crawling up for there island.

Fastfossil said:
Where did you say to get them

I got mine at a local pet store. Just ask the owner if the farmer has or able to order.
Pet supermarket is pretty known for ordering on request and rarity.

Back
Top Bottom