Vanishing Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earwig999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've lost one of my two RCS?

If she was ill would my fish have eaten her?

I've emptied the tank looking for her but she is not anywhere. I have emptied the filters too and looked for signs of her but nothing. My male RCS has molted but spends all day hiding under the bogwood.

I have a couple of Danios, a Bristlenose Catfish and 3 Glo Light Tetra. :confused:

Next time a shrimp goes missing dont panic...dont even take the tank apart looking for it. My shrimp went missing for a month one time.
Have you checked the floor around the tank?

Shrimp are REALLY good at hiding. Imo best way to get them all to show up is to have more of them. When i had 2 amano shrimp they would spend all day hiding, and when i bought 3 more they are all running around the tank.

Next time a shrimp goes missing dont panic...dont even take the tank apart looking for it. My shrimp went missing for a month one time.
Have you checked the floor around the tank?

I have checked everywhere, if it did jump out when I was cleaning it would have probably met the cats by now.

Been a few weeks now since I last saw it.

I've lost one of my two RCS?

If she was ill would my fish have eaten her?

I've emptied the tank looking for her but she is not anywhere. I have emptied the filters too and looked for signs of her but nothing. My male RCS has molted but spends all day hiding under the bogwood.

I have a couple of Danios, a Bristlenose Catfish and 3 Glo Light Tetra. :confused:

I suppose it is possible that the carcass may have been eaten. Sorry about your situation.

Oh yeah it couldve just died and gotten eaten. Maybe the "molted shell" is just your eaten dead shrimp.

If they are adult zebra danios they can easily eat a RCS. Lots of fish species are known to peck them to death if they get the urge for whatever reason. I've lost entire colonies of RCS like this in the past, with all kinds of different community type fish. Everything looks fine one day and then next thing I know they are dwindling until they are gone. I've had everything from guppies to danios to killifish to dwarf cichlids eat them at some point.

My solution has been to keep a dedicated shrimp tank with only a select few type of fish species that are compatible, and then if I want RCS in a more fish dedicated tank, I just throw some offspring in there.

jetajockey said:
If they are adult zebra danios they can easily eat a RCS. Lots of fish species are known to peck them to death if they get the urge for whatever reason. I've lost entire colonies of RCS like this in the past, with all kinds of different community type fish. Everything looks fine one day and then next thing I know they are dwindling until they are gone. I've had everything from guppies to danios to killifish to dwarf cichlids eat them at some point.

My solution has been to keep a dedicated shrimp tank with only a select few type of fish species that are compatible, and then if I want RCS in a more fish dedicated tank, I just throw some offspring in there.

Exactly...I used to have a good dozen or so RCS running around with Danios, Tetras, a Bolivian Ram, etc... Everyone seemed to be getting along for months, then all of a sudden the fish realized RCS make tasty snacks and obliterated them. Over the last week or so I've only spotted one or two hiding deep in the Java Moss. I was gonna pick some more up from jetajockey...but at this point it'd be more of a donation to his bank account than a purchase, lol.

I've always thought it was funny when people realize they're "missing" RCS. If you put a dozen in my tank, then an hour later challenged me to find all 12...it'd be a hopeless cause. They're just so small and fantastic hiders. There's times I can't even find all of my 3" Amano Shrimp.

I have a dedicated shrimp tank and since it's planted, they are often grazing. I can't even do an accurate guesstimate unless I put some pellets in a clear space and come back in 10 minutes. Even then, I would estimate that for every shrimp I see there are probably 10 or 20 that I don't see.

Yeah i had my two amanos dissapear for a month. I assumed my angels killed them but now all of a sudden theyre out and about again. It could be from molting but it happened right as i put the angels in so i think they felt threatened for a while

Back
Top Bottom