Varieeties of Fish that Would Truly Be Comfortable in a 10 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
Varieties of Fish that Would Truly Be Comfortable in a 10 Gallon Tank?

I'm almost ready to stock my 10 gallon tank, but aside from guppies and tetras, I'm not sure which variety of fish would be happy and comfortable in a 10 gallon tank. I'm assuming smaller breeds? Here's what I'd like (but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea, right?):

Fancy guppies
Cherry barb
Ghost catfish
Balloon belly mollies
Albino cory
Male betta

I'm especially looking for white, black, red, and purple fish, so if anyone has suggestions of these colored fish, that would do well in a 10 gallon tank, please let me know!

Thanks,

Julie

Last edited:
cherry barbs do a lot better in schoolsof about six otherwise they will nip fins of any other fish in the tank. ghost cats also are schooling fish also suseptable to disease and ph changes so wait till the tank is fullycycled. the male betta i would be carefull with due to aggression but as long as he has his own erritory and hidding spot he should be okay.

Just curious, do already have the 10g? Is it cycling? If you were going to keep a male betta, I'd recommend keeping him by himself as they are more solitary. As tom said, cherry barbs are a really cool option and like to be in schools of 5-6, but you'd have to keep just cherry barbs too. Cardinal Tetras are a cool choice, and you might be able to keep a few cories, I'm not sure, someone else could probably clear that up. Just remember, research any fish/plant you plan on getting. hth.

Looking at the list of fish in your tank profile I would move the betta over and get another tank for the goldfish since they are cold water. To add some type of other fish to the 10 gallon probably some dwarf cories about 3 at the most.

cherry barbs do a lot better in schoolsof about six otherwise they will nip fins of any other fish in the tank.

Thanks for pointing this out. I just got two cherry barbs a couple days ago for the big tank. Maybe I'll pick up a few more. They've actually been hiding in the plants since I brought them home.

ghost cats also are schooling fish also suseptable to disease and ph changes so wait till the tank is fullycycled. the male betta i would be carefull with due to aggression but as long as he has his own erritory and hidding spot he should be okay.

The tank is almost done cycling; ph is high, though. I had two ghost cats before and I thought they were fascinating fish. I'm trying to take thing slowly this time around - I lost a lot of fish to what was undoubtedly my own ignorance about tank maintenance and cycling. I don't want that to happen again. The one betta I have already is really mellow. He's not been aggressive at all, but he does have a lot of hiding places.

Just curious, do already have the 10g? Is it cycling? If you were going to keep a male betta, I'd recommend keeping him by himself as they are more solitary. As tom said, cherry barbs are a really cool option and like to be in schools of 5-6, but you'd have to keep just cherry barbs too. Cardinal Tetras are a cool choice, and you might be able to keep a few cories, I'm not sure, someone else could probably clear that up. Just remember, research any fish/plant you plan on getting. hth.

I do already have the 10 gallon and it's almost done cycling. Ammonia is 0.00; Nitrites are 0.50; Nitrates are 5.0. pH is 7.8. We have really hard water in Denver. I've aquascaped the tank as well (no live plants, though. Not quite ready to tackle that yet). I was thinking of cardinal tetras, actually - they look really nice. I do prefer community fish - I like a variety of fish in my tank. Thanks for your advice!

Looking at the list of fish in your tank profile I would move the betta over and get another tank for the goldfish since they are cold water. To add some type of other fish to the 10 gallon probably some dwarf cories about 3 at the most.

Thanks for replying! I'll think about moving the betta over - he's pretty happy in the large tank, though. He's never been aggressive; I know many bettas will be aggressive, though. Do you think I should leave well enough alone with my betta? Because I don't want only one fish in the 10 gal. I was thinking of a small community tank for the really little fish, like guppies, etc. A dwarf cory is a great suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom