Video of my 140 gallon cichlid tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That thing is gorgeous!
How large do they get? And how aggressive?

Thank you! I dont think they will get over about 4". I have heard both sides of the aggression story. I talked to a customer at the LFS that I go to say that it is one of the most non aggressive fish in his tank. Others say they can be aggressive. Guess I will wait and see.

spoonman said:
Thank you! I dont think they will get over about 4". I have heard both sides of the aggression story. I talked to a customer at the LFS that I go to say that it is one of the most non aggressive fish in his tank. Others say they can be aggressive. Guess I will wait and see.

Very interesting. I think one (or two) might be in my future.
To clear this constant question up...
"LFS" is local fish store?
And could you give me the actual name of the fish?
Please and thank you :)

They will grow just as large as a regular Jack, there's a local breeder with one around 7.5", just takes twice as long though.

Crew said:
That thing is gorgeous!
How large do they get? And how aggressive?

Just saw some at the store. Beautiful!
But the price tag... Not quite so attractive. I'll spend that much when I'm sure my tank is safe.

I got mine for $40/each. Hurt when one died. Thanks for the size info Hukit. I have heard that they grow at about half the rate of a regular JD.

Just got a call from my LFS. They got 2 EBJD's in. I am going to pick them up in the morning. Will post pics or video when I get them home. I'm excited again!

spoonman said:
Just got a call from my LFS. They got 2 EBJD's in. I am going to pick them up in the morning. Will post pics or video when I get them home. I'm excited again!

Awesome!

Nice keep those two fragile pieces of glass away from everyone and hope for the best, good luck...looking forward to pictures. I made a call today about a male and female who's around 4" each willing to trade form two of my Festae, I don't know it took two years to find true red terrors.

Going to add them to the 29 gallon with the other one. The only other things in there are a common pleco and a Raphael catfish. Hoping for the best. I have a spare rena XP3, was thinking about putting it on the 29. Too much? I do have the valve that came with it that will allow me to throttle back the output. Right now I have a marineland biowheel 350 on it.

I made a call today about a male and female who's around 4" each willing to trade form two of my Festae, I don't know it took two years to find true red terrors.

That is a tough call to make. Each one is kind of elusive as the other. I have never seen a full grown pair of EBJD's.

Video's of the EBJD's

Got the EBJD's from the LFS today. Here is the video. They are quite a bit smaller than the one that I had. They are a little washed out right now, but I bet they will color up. Enjoy!

YouTube - ‪New EBJD's‬‏

Aren't adult EBJD sterile?

No, but there has been cases of fish being sterile though. EBJD should be breed to strengthen the line but recently with the demand going up they're turning them over like crazy to turn a profit. Alot of JD's carry the blue recessive gene, so that Jack should be bred with a EBJD and some of the fry will be EB's but instead they're crossing the all the EBJD and weakening the line, where it should to in reverse with the new EBJD breeding with a regular JD to strengthen the stock, if that makes any sense?

HUKIT said:
No, but there has been cases of fish being sterile though. EBJD should be breed to strengthen the line but recently with the demand going up they're turning them over like crazy to turn a profit. Alot of JD's carry the blue recessive gene, so that Jack should be bred with a EBJD and some of the fry will be EB's but instead they're crossing the all the EBJD and weakening the line, where it should to in reverse with the new EBJD breeding with a regular JD to strengthen the stock, if that makes any sense?

Yea that makes sense I wasn't aware that the electric blue was a recessive gene. Makes me want to get an EBJD and a regular JD and breed them and strengthen the line.

Back
Top Bottom