villan pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatalieFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone..
I have a few questions about "plecos'. i have one in my tank and he seems to be aggressive.. i don't know if he's playing or if he's territorial or what but he is worrying me. i've noticing him lately really going after my gold fish. i have two goldfish in the tank bigger if not as big as him who swim with each other and play with each other and i can tell they're playing but my pleco intentionally seems to follow them to go after them. he gets violent. he persists and while in mid water he attacks 2-3 times before he glides back down on the rocks and hides again. it seems that my godlfish really try to avoid him and they try to get away which makes me believe that they are scared of him. i've read stories that they kill other fish sometimes.. i have two silver dollars and a new small tiny red sword tail fish that the pleco doesn't seem to go after. so hopefully that stays that way.. im just wondering .. what should i do ? i made him his very own spot in the tank.. but like i said he intentionally follows and just lets lose. he suctioned himself onto my bigger gold fish a few nights ago and it scared me.hes not food deprived.. hes fed well.. and he has his own spot in the tank.. what else could it be?

will he kill them?

i REALLY don't wanna get rid of him.. what should i do??
also could the other smaller fish be seen as potential food to him??

thank you very much.

Plecos are not usually agressive and are primarily vegitarians. Fish are territorial. I would keep a careful watch to make sure nobody gets injured, but give them a few weeks and things should settle down.:jump:

Re

Plecos are not usually agressive and are primarily vegitarians. Fish are territorial. I would keep a careful watch to make sure nobody gets injured, but give them a few weeks and things should settle down.:jump:

Thank you very much! I guess I should have actually read up on plecos so then I would know that plecos are vegitarians!xp excuse my ignorance:p guess certain important questions like that didn't come to mind.. I'm just worried someone will get killed.but ok that eases my worries..knowing he won't eat them :) and he only seems to go after them at nightime..and the "attacks" are not constantly just at a certain time for a certain amount of time :p haha .so again thank you!! I'll keep aN eye!

Plecos are vegetarians but they also like slime coat. It helps to feed them blanched vegetables like zucchini or broccoli.

Plecos are vegetarians but they also like slime coat. It helps to feed them blanched vegetables like zucchini or broccoli.

how would i go about sticking in some delicious broccoli or zucchini? just toss it in?

Blanch it first (boil) so it gets slightly mushy. Then get something to make it stay down. Take out what they don't eat the next day.

Back
Top Bottom