Von Rio Tetras have Ich in newish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HtheGeisha

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, Aquarists.
I bought two yellow gouramis four days ago... bear with me, as this is something of a new tank, only two and a half months old. There is a lot going on analytically in that little environment right now!
I added a piece of driftwood to the tank about two weeks ago. The shop owner told me it was already washed, just needed to be rehydrated for sinking. I didn't have a pot big enough to leech it before hand, so I sank it in the tank on slate, thinking I could just deal with the tannin leaching. It's really not that bad, amber colored dust, but I worry it's compromising my fish's immune systems and oxygen intake. So, I looked at my filter, a Tetra Whisper 40. To me, it looks more like an amphibian tank power filter and not too good for a full fish tank bio load. Maybe it's me. The gouramis were fine initially, swimming around. After the first two days, the larger male, who had started out quite lively and inquisitive, was hanging at the middle of the tank behind some plants and not eating. So, fearing the tannins in the water were stressing his gills, I bought a new filter, two days after I bought these two yellow gouramis. Now the problem is the bacteria in the filters. I decided to run both filters initially, since the first has bacteria and the second doesn't. That's part one! :)
Upon inspecting my fish closely to see if their gills are stressed, I noticed very tiny white spots on my Von Rios. I don't know when that actually started, but read somewhere that if there is an infection or fungus in the tank, gouramis will show it faster. Can I assume he has the same thing? The other, smaller gourami seems fine and is all but pigging out, though her color darkens to almost black. She's all over the place and continually tries to rouse him out of his corner.
If so, I bought IchAttck by Kordon, and the directions say to remove carbon from the filter so it can work. What will this do to the leaching tannins? It's kind of a pinch.
For now, I've been adding salt, raising the water temp, its at 83, and I got a Purigen pack to add to the filter the same day I got the gouramis. The large gourami is moving around more, he doesn't look distressed or anything, and comes to surface now when I feed, but I swear he's only eating bubbles! He doesn't go after the food as he did before.
They are a completely new species to me, so I really need a wider frame of reference. And the filtration/tannins?? Carbon?? Ack! I'm stuck.
FYI, water numbers are amm 0.25, nit 0, nitrate between 20-40. I've been doing 15% water changes daily since seeing the nitrates go up, but the ammonia and nitrite are on their way down from two weeks ago. (Ammonia was at 4 and nitrite was 4-5). I don't want to hurt my bacteria, but don't know what to do for the fish.

Update on male gourami... he started to eat food just minutes after my post, but he still doesn't go after it like he did and the other still does, but just eats what happens by. Can gouramis go blind?

Try And raise tank temp to 86. Add an air stone if possible since there is now less oxygen on the tank. The stuff leeching from driftwood will not affect fish. Just a mere discoloration in water nothing else.

If it were me, I would move the ill-looking fish into quarantine. This will reduce the chance of infecting the other inhabitants. In quarantine, I would treat the disease.

Kordon recommends removing the carbon from the filter so that the filter does not filter out the medication. A side effect of removing the carbon is your water may become more cloudy than usual, but this will not effect the health of the aquarium.

Tannins are only bad for the aquarium if it bothers you to see them. Otherwise they pose no threat to the health of fish. The addition of certain species of wood; however, may effect the pH of the water without any additional clear visual cues. You may want to test the pH more frequently until you get a feel for your wood's effect on the pH.

What type of filter is the new one?

Any fish may be blind. A symptom of blindness is sores on the front of the fish from collisions with unseen objects.

You may want to consider increasing either the frequency or volume of water changes. The nitrate level in your tank is right on the border of a concern.

Thanks for responding. The new filter is a Penguin 200, which is probably more flow than the gouramis prefer, but I put a scotch-brite scoring pad around the drop trough with a rubber band to lessen the flow.
I have a couple of tanks that I could use for quarantine, but they are not set up and I really have no place to put one. But since the Von Rios have white spots, and now one black skirt, I'm thinking its already spread.
But with the Penguin, the cartridge in there is the standard, and I didn't see a way to remove the contents from it. Any ideas to remove the carbon, or do I just have to get a new empty?
I'm encouraged that he's eating, the male gourami that is, but not out of the woods as far as those little white spots. I'll keep raising the temp, too. Thanks, guys!

I wouldn't try to open the cartridge and remove the contents, this sounds messy. Just unplug the filter, remove the carbon-containing-cartridge from the filter, and plug it back in. :)

So, run the filter without any cartridge? That sounds messy to me!

Okay, update on fish. Nitrate on last test was between 10-20. Nitrite was still 0, ammonia 0.25. PH is actually down to 8.0, which has never happened. The gouramis both went through a spell where they rested together on the bottom of the tank, only coming up to eat and air. The Von Rios are almost all clear, except for one who has stopped eating, lost all color, and just looks ragged, so I've been giving him mild saltwater baths to see if that would help. I had a problem with the heater in my tank, when I tried to raise the temp! It wouldn't go over 81 suddenly. I'm hoping this didn't hurt them... I got a new heater, for a larger area tank. Hopefully, that one will last a while. The original was only a month old.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom