Wabi-Kusa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Is anyone familiar with this style of planted tanks? I'm really interested in setting one up, because it looks like I wouldn't need a CO2 setup. Is that right?

The idea is to grow a ball of emersed plants semi-emersed or submersed. No Co2 Intended unless the plants require it or the lighting is too much and gives off more algae.

The new Ada publication has a whole section devoted to layout and design examples. Not sure if it might be available on the Japanese Ada site? Looks interesting. I can tell you all of their setups had co2, but they are all about high tech...

Yeah, it's just that i've been looking around at some amazing Wabi-Kusa setups and most of the ones i've seen don't have CO2 setups. Some are just grown in bowls, nothing fancy. I guess low-light plants would be the trick right?

Not to be a bother or anything, but see the plants in this setup? This guy doesn't run a CO2 setup and i kind of want to do something like this lol. What kind of plants is he using?

Wabi-Kusa Style

CO2 really isn't necessary with emersed plants. They can get all the CO2 they need from the air. I guess I don't really see the difference between this and a paladarium.

Yeah true.. I guess the style of the tank is what sets it apart. Maybe Wabi-Kusa means Paladarium in japanese. lol.

Not all plants are emerged in a wabi kusa layout... A lot of ground cover type plants like glosso and hc are used. That is where the co2 comes in.

Back
Top Bottom