Wanna start some plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunnman39

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to add some live plants to my 10 gal community tank but I know nothing on how to keep them alive. Any help would be appreciated.

I am not sure on the light when I bought the tank it already had the lighting hood. Substrate is gravel

I believe incandescent. Will i need to buy a bew bulb?

Okay no problem. After I get the hood what steps will I need to take then?

From what I have seen the industry has been pushing toward LEDS so that may be a better option

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can use the narrow spiral shaped compact fluorescent bulbs in incandescent fixtures. Be sure to get the 6700k spectrum and (again) narrow type. The traditional CFL might be too wide for the fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have ordered these several times now, one came in broke and then i needed more. The bulb you actually receive is different from the one pictured.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 48
Well i have no clue then lmao, But my plants do grow much better and the tank is much brighter if that helps lol.

Plants can be a bit tricky.

First of all, you need enough light for the plants to grow, and different plants need different light levels. Then you also have to plan on a time period for the lights to be on. And if the tank gets too much light, you can start having issues with alge growing faster than the plants.

If you want to start "playing" with plants, simply replace your existing incandescent light bulbs with CFL light bulbs. You want bulbs with a high color temperature (Daylight with color temperatures around 5000K to 6500K, NOT Softwhite or Coolwhite with color temperatures around 2700K to 2500K). Start with a CFL of equal comparable wattage, as time goes, you may find you need to try a higher or lower wattage bulb and you might need it on for longer or shorter time periods each day.

Get a timer so the lights will go on/off automatically, unless you can be religious about turning the lights on/off. (That's one of the thing I hate about these day/time night/time (moon light) light sets, you can't plug them into a standard timer and get your daytime/nighttime light switch over).

Back
Top Bottom