Want to have a Freshwater (Tropical) tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unfortunately like I said, there is N O decent pet shops you have WalMart Petco and stuff we have Aldi Tesco Spar and odd café

unfortunately like I said, there is N O decent pet shops you have WalMart Petco and stuff we have Aldi Tesco Spar and odd café

I guarantee you there is an Internet site that will ship to you, from somewhere in the UK, a 55 Gal tank, an Eheim 2217, an Eheim 250W heater, fluorite substrate, glass tops, a striplight, plants, etc. You just have to find it. Make that post. Try a few different forums. Find a forum that's JUST in the UK and ask there.

Isn't it past 1AM where you live? Aren't you tired? :)

yeh 1:06am , i am a bit, but nahh had caffeine :pha

30 gallon
Substrate
HOB
Prime
Heater
Honey Gourami
Livebearers
..,?

30 gallon
Substrate
HOB
Prime
Heater
Honey Gourami
Livebearers
..,?

Try to get an Aquaclear 70/300 as the filter. They are very versatile. Two sponges and a bag of biomedia. Best way to go.

For the stock, 1 angel, pair of honey gouramis, 6-8 livebearers, bushynose pleco, some shrimp. You COULD add more fish but not many.

This whole conversation is MOOT though because we don't know WHERE you're getting all this stuff :). You need to go figure that out and then come back here with what's available to you so we can pick out equipment and such.

so i chatted to my mum and we are going to hereford next weekend, so need to know what to get..
CHEAP AS POSSIBLE
DONT HAVE THAT MUCH MONEY

so i chatted to my mum and we are going to hereford next weekend, so need to know what to get..
CHEAP AS POSSIBLE
DONT HAVE THAT MUCH MONEY

What's in Hereford? What store are you going to? Do they have a website with prices? (I don't know what the prices are in the UK so I can't say buy this, this and this... because I don't know how much it will cost you)

Please give me
-Website of the store(s) you will be visiting
-Budget for everything (tank, stand, filters, heater, gravel, plants, fish, etc)

What's in Hereford? What store are you going to? Do they have a website with prices? (I don't know what the prices are in the UK so I can't say buy this, this and this... because I don't know how much it will cost you)

Please give me
-Website of the store(s) you will be visiting
-Budget for everything (tank, stand, filters, heater, gravel, plants, fish, etc)

Hereford is www.fishkeeper.co.uk but i dont know about prices, expensive, but the store i go to all the time is www.petsathome.co.uk
and my budget is hmmm £100 at the moment but at christmas maybe £300

this has got to be big nice light colourful big fish or something, scrap idea of live bearers, big colourful friendly tolerate other fish ok, good in a community tank

Hereford is Maidenhead Aquatics - Fishkeeper but i dont know about prices, expensive, but the store i go to all the time is Pets at Home - where pets come first
and my budget is hmmm £100 at the moment but at christmas maybe £300

this has got to be big nice light colourful big fish or something, scrap idea of live bearers, big colourful friendly tolerate other fish ok, good in a community tank

So you're changing the stocking list again? :rolleyes: Why?

You can't really do anything with 100 pounds. 300 pounds is a different story.
Do you have a stand for the 30 gallon tank? If not, factor that into the cost.

I think you're going to have to wait until Christmas for your budget to go up man.

Maidenhead doesn't have any aquarium/stand combos in your pricerange. I'd look at a cheap (40-50 pound) stand and a bare (15-20 pound) 30 gallon aquarium and a glass top. Buy them seperately or see if there is a combo with a cheap stand at some other store.

If you have a low budget, which you do, you should be looking online (is there craigslist in the UK?) for a used aquarium setup.

There's really nothing I can help you with now because you can't afford everything. You could probably find just the tank and the stand for 100 pounds. You'd still need a filter, a heater, glass top, striplight, substrate, driftwood, some rocks, plants, fish, food, and a large bucket for water changes.

Try to see if you can make some spare cash between now and Christmas. Maybe get a simple part time job? I don't know. Whatever you can do. Get as much cash together as you can, and then when you actually have a significant budget, we can do this.

Right ok, well surely it wouldnt go over £300!:0 i have got bucket and stand my dad can make

by the way i have a spare 15 litre tank rectangle
and for a matter of fact every one changes their min now and then in this case stocking

I've gone through all the tank choices at Maidenhead and petsathome. Stuff is EXPENSIVE in the UK. I hadn't realized.

Roma 90 Aquarium by Fluval (Available In Selected Stores Only) | Pets at Home

25 gallon kit WITH NO STAND costs 160. Add the stand in and you're almost at 300 already. With an empty tank.

This is why I'm strongly suggesting a used setup.

aquarium in United Kingdom | Gumtree All Categories

^I searched gumtree, which is the UK equivalent of Kijiji. There are a LOT of used aquarium listings with prices far below retail.

Right ok, well surely it wouldnt go over £300!:0 i have got bucket and stand my dad can make

by the way i have a spare 15 litre tank rectangle

Oh well if your Dad can make the stand that knocks a good 80 pounds off what you need to spend. That will help out. I still suggest getting a used aquarium setup. It'll cost you a lot less. Did you read my last post?

15 litres is only about 3 gallons. You can't do much there outside maybe a cherry shrimp tank? Use a tiny sponge filter with a small airpump to run it.

BTW- If you decide you must buy new...do you know if PETSATHOME sells tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, and glass tops individually? All I can find on their site is package deals. If they sell things individually that'd be better because I'm not liking the filters included in their package deals.

First of all, you can not take the bacteria from the goldfish tank. From my understanding, it's 2 different types of bacteria between coldwater and tropical. I may be wrong.

Also go to aqadvisor.com to check your stocking.

You do not need an external filter, but if you want one, check if you can buy SunSuns or Aquatops off of eBay. They're good filters at a super low cost.

I highly suggest buying used if your budget is that low.

Find what fish you like and stick to it. You have plenty of time. Research what fish you want.

First of all, you can not take the bacteria from the goldfish tank. From my understanding, it's 2 different types of bacteria between coldwater and tropical. I may be wrong.

It's the same bacteria coldwater and tropical. We're only talking about a 10-12F difference between room temperature and the 80F or so you keep a tropical tank at.

Thanks everyone, but delivery..?

There's your pickle. Again, you may need to rely on your Mom, nature's ultimate chauffeur :lol: to go pick some equipment up. Sometimes people selling used equipment are willing to deliver, but don't expect somebody to drive 2 hours each way to bring you their used tank and equipment.

As far as the external (canister) filter is concerned, that was just for the 55 gallon, and still wasn't necessary, just preferred. For a 30 gallon, you're going to want an economical HOB style filter, like an Aquaclear 70/300 (my number 1 recommendation).

BTW I wasn't giving you a hard time about changing the stocking list again a few posts back. I was just under the impression that you'd decided already, that's all. We should really find out what fish you have available locally too. Some of the stuff you want might not even be available to you, although Maidenhead does have a decent selection.

Back
Top Bottom