Want to have a Freshwater (Tropical) tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's your pickle. Again, you may need to rely on your Mom, nature's ultimate chauffeur :lol: to go pick some equipment up. Sometimes people selling used equipment are willing to deliver, but don't expect somebody to drive 2 hours each way to bring you their used tank and equipment.

As far as the external (canister) filter is concerned, that was just for the 55 gallon, and still wasn't necessary, just preferred. For a 30 gallon, you're going to want an economical HOB style filter, like an Aquaclear 70/300 (my number 1 recommendation).

BTW I wasn't giving you a hard time about changing the stocking list again a few posts back. I was just under the impression that you'd decided already, that's all. We should really find out what fish you have available locally too. Some of the stuff you want might not even be available to you, although Maidenhead does have a decent selection.

When i go to LFS that are far away, I borrow my sisters smartphone and look up the kinds of fish I like there.

oh right ok, will anyone please look on gum tree for £100 and under tropical full set up used : ) i was but internet isnt working

oh right ok, will anyone please look on gum tree for £100 and under tropical full set up used : ) i was but internet isnt working

We don't even know where you live. I could be looking in Liverpool but you might live in Glasgow, for example. Your internet will come back. You can check gumtree when it does. :)

oh right i live in mid wales, Aberystwyth/Newtown/Welshpool/Llani/Builth Wells/Brecon that is my nearest places,

oh right i live in mid wales, Aberystwyth/Newtown/Welshpool/Llani/Builth Wells/Brecon that is my nearest places,

So when you say your internet is not working.. how are you making posts on this forum? Just curious. Sorry for the off topic post.

Also, why are you looking for a sub hundred-pound setup now? Why don't you wait until you get the 300 pounds at Xmas to buy everything? It'll give you more options.

Very Sorry, but what other fish or stuff could i get and keep with a budget of £100 and easy and big and beautiful, sorry just expanding ideas

So when you say your internet is not working.. how are you making posts on this forum? Just curious. Sorry for the off topic post.

Also, why are you looking for a sub hundred-pound setup now? Why don't you wait until you get the 300 pounds at Xmas to buy everything? It'll give you more options.

because in UK we have our wifi box thing but if we have rain and wind it effects the lines running to the box but some are effected and some aren't and it effected my safari internet but not apps lol, theres internet apps and internet safari on my wifi box and one got affected, ok

Very Sorry, but what other fish or stuff could i get and keep with a budget of £100 and easy and big and beautiful, sorry just expanding ideas

First you need to budget out the equipment, then the fish. If you got the tank and equipment for 75 pounds, you'd only have 25 left for fish, which isn't much. I don't know how much fish cost in the UK, but I guarantee you 25 pounds is a sad, miserable amount of money to buy fish with. Its fine if you just want a couple of fish but it isn't enough to stock a whole tank.

I know you're young and its hard to be patient but the wise thing to do, and what I, as an old person, advise you to do, is wait until you get the 300 pounds at Xmas. Seriously. The world will not end. There will still be fish and aquariums available in January.

To give you an example of waiting- I want to set up a 29 gallon too. But I'm waiting until at least August of 2014 because I want to see how hot it gets in my new home in the summer (I have no air conditioning).

Well alright then, but i then need to cycle it in the New year

ok, so even if my mum out of her willing and generosity heart decides to get me stuff for fish, what tank do i get thats big but not expensive and what equipment

Well alright then, but i then need to cycle it in the New year

No, just add a good amount of biomedia from your existing tank and start with a small group of fish (ie 1m 3f platys)

ok, so even if my mum out of her willing and generosity heart decides to get me stuff for fish, what tank do i get thats big but not expensive and what equipment

Going for a cigarette and a snack. Will answer in 20 mins.

I suggest a minimum 29 gallon tank for your tropical setup, so you don't have to give up in the bigger, more interesting fish.

Get a 29 gal bare tank at the pet shop. Add a glass top and a dual bulb striplight. To save money, you can use a striplight from a hardware store.
To save even more money, buy a cheap incandescant hood from the pet shop and use two CFL (the twisty fluorescent bulbs that screw into regular bulb sockets) bulbs.

For the filter, I still suggest Aquaclear 70. Ebay exists in the UK. May be your only option (buy an extra foam block with it)
HAGEN AquaClear 70 Power Filter 300 GPH NEW | eBay

The heater I recommend is Eheim Jager. Also available on Ebay
EHEIM JAGER AQUARIUM HEATER 50 / 100 / 150 / 250 / 300 W thermo safety control | eBay
150W is what I'd suggest for a 30 gallon tank.

After that just add gravel, plants, driftwood and fish.

Here's a stretch- but I was just wondering,
why don't you take a long-term loan out from your parents? You'll have 300 pounds by Xmas, why not borrow, say, another 200 from your parents, and pay it back over your next birthday and next year's Xmas. Then you'd have 500 pounds to play with and you could get a bigger tank like you wanted initially.

Many Thanks, but i want other stuff for my bday and xmas

Many Thanks, but i want other stuff for my bday and xmas

You can't have it all, man.
So just to be clear, we're still working with the 300 pounds right?
Call around to some petshops and price out
29/30 gallon tank
cheapest hood or glass top/striplight combo available

get the Aquaclear 70 and the Eheim Jager heater from Ebay.

Use the rest of the money on decoration and fish. You have to do this with 300 pounds though.

Just the filter and the heater alone will cost about 60 pounds.

Let's wait until you've got all the parts priced out and the decorations priced out before we look at fish. I think that's a good idea.

yes thats okay, never know when i do go to maiden aquatics next week i might get my tank? i might buy my tank now and equipment

well when im in LFS mum sees the fish i am planning to have and says "youre getting those, let me get some equipment" so i have £100 to have next week so i durno what to get with £100 and by the time it comes to xmas i'll have £300 so £400 in total

another question will you come up with stock lists for a 20 gal 30 gal pls , my original plan was to get a 30L tank shrimp only but i suppose i could have more fish?

another question will you come up with stock lists for a 20 gal 30 gal pls , my original plan was to get a 30L tank shrimp only but i suppose i could have more fish?

I can't come up with an entire stock list for you because I don't know what's available and what you want. Why don't you just shoot me some ideas? Hopefully some other people will chime in on this thread too because it's just the two of us in here :).

What's this about a 30L shrimp tank now?

Back
Top Bottom